• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Pellet Smoker - what should try?

Openspaces

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
79   0
Reaction score
After almost 2-3 years of putting it off I finally bought a pellet smoker. Already tried steaks, salmon, bacon, and jerky.

All turned out good but looking for new ideas/recipes.

My fave is beef plate ribs. Not cheap but without a doubt the best thing I have done on my smokers. Been at it about a year and still can't get brisket quite dialed in for the life of me. Pork ribs and butt are both brainless, cook them to 203, pull them, rest them, serve them, and they are delicious. FWIW, with steaks I have been using a recipe where you "smoke" them for an hour at 175, then pull them and crank the pellet smoker as high as it will go and sear for about 4 minutes on each side. The best investments I have ever made when grilling and smoking are to get a thermopen, and a reliable, grill grate and meat probe thermometer. I have a traeger, kamado joe, weber natural gas grill, and offset stick burner and all four exhibit quite a bit of difference from one part of the grill to the other. A good grate thermometer will show you what temp you are actually smoking at. As far as pellets, Cookinpellets are by far the best pellets I have found.

Chicken wings (easy if you know how), spatchcock chicken are easy for big hit. Smoked hamburgers on high heat. Pork tenderloins are super easy. My RecTec smoker gets a lot of use so ask if you want recipes.

I've been looking at them as well...which one did you get? Is it an auto feed?

Rectec 590 researched for awhile. Great temp controller, temp probes, wireless connectivity, and great warranty.(4 years) Had it bought for Xmas and when I opened it the end was smashed in. (Was supposed to be delivered on a pallet but I suspect the delivery company took it off and must’ve smashed it with a pallet jack) Called them and within minutes had a new one shipped. Great customer service.

Definitely going to try a smoking whole turkey and pork butt soon. I read about the reverse sear for steaks and I’ll try that next time. Any preferred rubs that anyone uses?

Back
Top Bottom