• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New members during these chaotic and trying times...

I was torn by this topic several months back as I was in the not too recent past a "noob" here on ODT as well. The decision I made for good or bad, if you don't have 10ish positives and no negs I just keep walking. Negs are a big deal to me as I strive to be true to my word and I expect the same from others. If you do enough deals here eventually you'll get tangled up with some **** heel that'll neg you unjustifiably so I do read those negs carefully and will sometimes reach out in PM to posters of both positive and negative feedback as a sanity check.

Most of the guys here are just awesome. I've met quite a few at this point and by and large they're a great bunch.

So... I'll preface this by saying that I was hyper-vigilant yesterday (in particular) because our neighborhood gets pretty consistent traffic (we're a closed tucked-in area with only one road in/out), and with everything going on downtown plus social media traffic about taking protests/riots to neighborhoods and "taking it to the homes," when our next door neighbor called and let us know that a slow-driving vehicle with FL plates, blacked out windows, and a BLM sticker took a stroll through the neighborhood, I stayed up late and we kept things pretty low key and on alert.

Are people here being extra cautious with new members who are looking to deal? I worry that people may be trying to get their hands on some tools through private channels. I guess I just had a little too much time last night and on the drive in this morning to ponder the question.

Call me crazy, a few of you may call me racist (whatever), but I figured it may be a good discussion. Thanks, brothers... stay safe out there.
It's not racist or paranoid. It's always prudent to be cautious in your dealings especially with those who advocate criminal activity and/or otherwise simply seem 'off'.

If you’re not going through the post history of any potential buyers/sellers then you’re doing it wrong. Say what you want but I’ll judge everyone here who I will be potentially meeting.

Agree. I was approached by a 0/0 without any posts or anything, and I went ahead and asked about his residency and CWL status. Even floated transferring through an FFL where I’d cover his fees. Just wondering if I’m being too cautious. I’m all about CYA.

PS - he hasn’t answered me back.

It's not racist or paranoid. It's always prudent to be cautious in your dealings especially with those who advocate criminal activity and/or otherwise simply seem 'off'.
can you go through my post and delete please. I can’t remember some of the stuff I may have said. :ranger:

The last thing I'd ever want to see is me selling a firearm to some knuckle head with a 0/0 that is nice and courteous, then ends up being a whacko caught looting a store or worse. Some of the noobs are just fine, most probably, only time will tell. No sense taking chances though. Let em get a few miles under the belt here. If they are quality as most will likely turn out to be they'll do a few trades or sales, build up some feedback and all will be well. If they are just lookie lou's or flat out thugs they'll eventually just fade away.

I have added 3 new members to my ignore list. "I want to buy your gun" then you never hear from them again. They seem baffled by the PM system.

This. The posted feedback is who you are here. Everything else is irrelevant to me. Many of us like to get on here to pontificate but it is all about buying, selling, and trading.

I'm a nubee, and so far I haven't had any problems with the guys that I've bought from. I make sure not to offer an insulting price, and have had one of the guys that I bought from go out of their way to make the sale by meeting me, and doing me a favor which I appreciate, and let him know. I'm not afraid to drive a good distance, but sometimes I can't. If I happen to see something I want I don't put it out on the forum, I send a PM, and I'm up front about the contact # I give out, (It's out of state) I also try to be a part of this forum by posting on subjects that I know a bit about, and learn more here about other stuff than I could on my own, and definitely have a few laughs from some posts as well. I think this is an honest and good way to do business, and show respect to the seller.

I'm a nubee, and so far I haven't had any problems with the guys that I've bought from. I make sure not to offer an insulting price, and have had one of the guys that I bought from go out of their way to make the sale by meeting me, and doing me a favor which I appreciate, and let him know. I'm not afraid to drive a good distance, but sometimes I can't. If I happen to see something I want I don't put it out on the forum, I send a PM, and I'm up front about the contact # I give out, (It's out of state) I also try to be a part of this forum by posting on subjects that I know a bit about, and learn more here about other stuff than I could on my own, and definitely have a few laughs from some posts as well. I think this is an honest and good way to do business, and show respect to the seller.

You are undercover ATF, right?

Just kidding

Back
Top Bottom