• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New members and pm's

Because more seasoned members think they are above helping out the new members here. Instead all they get are snarky threads about how stupid they are.

When new guys show up a few polite PMs would probably go a long way.
I've done exactly this a few times. Kinda hoping this thread would not become "snarky" as that was not, I hope, the tone of my original post. My intent was that perhaps my members would see it and understand what a great many older members prefer as far as initial contact. I know a few guys here, good members, that deal by pm only. Never even a text message.

I think one of the reasons that going the non-PM route is that some newbies really come here for the trading result. They see something they want and there's no incentive to 'do it the right way'.

SMS is the way people tend to communicate, they want that pimped-out Glock, they want to get in contact, and there's a "Reply" button right there. Here's my phone number! Put in yours and let's make a deal! They haven't been scammed (yet), so the protection that PMs give them aren't appreciated, and maybe, they've seen a news article that tells them that they can get a gun without all the other messy prerequisites like a 4473 and background check.

This is exciting!

I want my gun!

Instant gratificaton!

For some people, explaining why "doing it right" makes sense is just harshing that excitement, so you'll get dismissive or disrespectful pushback. We see that from established members too.

Gun people really can be some of the most impulsive purchasers you'll ever meet - and I think this may be why we sometimes see site visitors outright rejecting 'doing it the right way'.

So I'm not sure that there's any way to address this other than the way it's being done now, relying on the goodwill of a few ODT'ers who, at the time, aren't jaded with the whole issue of educating newbies.

I had a new guy PM and tell me "he was interested" in a pistol for sale. I said "do you want to buy it?". He responded "How much will you take for it." I replied that he would get better consideration from all the old timers on ODT if he made an offer. I guess I should have also told him that offers of 30% below asking probably will not result in a sale.

I had a new guy PM and tell me "he was interested" in a pistol for sale. I said "do you want to buy it?". He responded "How much will you take for it." I replied that he would get better consideration from all the old timers on ODT if he made an offer. I guess I should have also told him that offers of 30% below asking probably will not result in a sale.
Just make your gun price 60% higher then the 30% less offer will still be good!

Oops, I made a price rant comment

Back
Top Bottom