• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Ford F-150 Lightning EV

I think your right. At least this version will be a soccer mom's wet commuter dream. No one that actually uses a truck for work will be to interested in this thing.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36481590/ford-f150-lightning-range-towing/

While shopping for my current truck, I wanted a 1/2 ton with 4wd, the big engine, lower gears for towing, and the tow package. Guess how many I found in the greater NE Atlanta area. Just a few. I had to settle because I couldn't find all the options I wanted.

The lightning is going to be right in line with +90% of 1/2ton trucks on the market. I think most guys want a truck that looks like it could be a work truck, but gets really good gas mileage.

I'm excited about the Lightning though. It won't work for me, but I could see it being a contender for me a couple generations down the road. If these things sell, it'll be a big boost to the market and they'll get much better soon.

From all the comments I’ve seen and read online, this thing is going to be a big miss for the normal truck buyer. I think most if not all of those reservations are people planning on selling their spots, just like the Tesla truck. All that being said, now 80% of the time this truck would suit my needs. You know the normal back and forth to places. Heck a cheap car would do fine too. However, the other 20% is why I bought my truck. When I need to tow/haul things, which often is longer distances. I can’t see this working well for actual truck things. Sure it will be fine for the trip to HD for supplies or the local nursery for plants, but beyond that, nope. I’ll stick to my f250 diesel which also doubles as the family road trip vehicle. Good luck road tripping with that. My buddy has a Tesla, he’s all green super liberal, tried to do some road trips with it. Well, let’s just say they now rent a car when they want to travel.

While shopping for my current truck, I wanted a 1/2 ton with 4wd, the big engine, lower gears for towing, and the tow package. Guess how many I found in the greater NE Atlanta area. Just a few. I had to settle because I couldn't find all the options I wanted.

The lightning is going to be right in line with +90% of 1/2ton trucks on the market. I think most guys want a truck that looks like it could be a work truck, but gets really good gas mileage.

I'm excited about the Lightning though. It won't work for me, but I could see it being a contender for me a couple generations down the road. If these things sell, it'll be a big boost to the market and they'll get much better soon.

I'm not a Ford guy but I hope it's a success. I like the price and the thought of a "Frunk" vs the damn toolbox I have on my truck sounds like a winner! The range is the deal killer for me with EV's right now. I travel the state and occasionally clock over 400 miles in a day. I'm not dealing with charge times when I can stop, take a leak and fill up and keep rolling.

To be honest, I contemplated the early order deposit (fully refundable). But a 300 mile range is such trash. And that's at 45 mph, give or take. At highway speeds it drops significantly. Probably to a 225 mi range. The only appeal at that point is having a truck that will 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds. I'll stick with my 36 gallon tank that can go 700+ miles.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a total electric vehicle? The hybrid was a great idea, the EV not so much. The battery tech still isn't there (8 hours downtime for charging?) Really! Trying to cram this down the American people's throats is going to backfire. All EVs are ultimately coal or natural gas burners (apparently for 8 hours a day!) This is the kind of thing you get when ideologues (ignorant ones at that) run your country.

That 8 hours was using a home charger. If you are out and can find a good charging station you can get to 80% in 10-15 minutes if I remember right.

I think your right. At least this version will be a soccer mom's wet commuter dream. No one that actually uses a truck for work will be to interested in this thing.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36481590/ford-f150-lightning-range-towing/

I bet fleet sales will be through the roof since it won't be a big deal that they get parked every night to recharge, and almost every power company offers an EV plan with ultra-cheap KWh's. Cheaper than $3 gas at 15mpg on the regular one, that's for sure, and the price is the same as the base model as well.

New poll....LOL

Screenshot_20210522-095737_Firefox.jpg

LOL... a poll on Twitter? I'm not surprised that Tesla came out on top.

I'd bet a new Cybertruck though that Ford will sell twice as many Lightnings as Tesla will sell Cybertrucks.

Curious, the more electric vehicles out in the market, does this mean the gas prices will go down?

There has to be a balance somewhere as somebody is losing (petroleum industry). Will kilowatt (?- not sure of the verbiage) cost go up, as the demand for electric vehicles will sky rocket?

It should... the improvements in gas mileage drove the price of gas down under $1 back in the late 90s.

The lower the demand for gas the lower the average price. The only thing is that EVs aren't a significant factor yet.

Back
Top Bottom