• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Never smoked a Turkey Breast only

DinkyDau

Coast Guard Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
Your only as good as your word!
171   0
Reaction score
So I could not find a whole turkey so,,I picked up a plump fat Breast...The smoke is on, now just to monitor and regulate Temp both in the BGE and the internal temp on the Breast..More pic's as it progresses..Oh did I mention I like nice big plump Breast?;) Turkeybreast1.jpg
Turkeybreast.jpg

My two cents regarding turkey on a smoker: 165 degree is the USDA guideline because harmful microbiologics can't survive that temperature for more than 10 seconds.

BUT, they also can't survive 150 to 155 degrees for more than 5 to 10 minutes. And that lower range yields a much jucier piece of poultry. So, if you can hold 155 for 10 minutes, in my opinion, you get a tastier and still perfectly safe meal.

My two cents regarding turkey on a smoker: 165 degree is the USDA guideline because harmful microbiologics can't survive that temperature for more than 10 seconds.

BUT, they also can't survive 150 to 155 degrees for more than 5 to 10 minutes. And that lower range yields a much jucier piece of poultry. So, if you can hold 155 for 10 minutes, in my opinion, you get a tastier and still perfectly safe meal.

Hey thanks for the input! If you notice I have the sensor set for 165 and just fed some more wood and lump charcoal. I do somewhere around 125-250 has been the honey spot for me with whole birds..I normally do breast in the Crock pot, so time will tell..

Sounds like you and the wife are going to eat good! In for pictures when it’s finished cooking!

Actually I am smoking this for my Brother who has helped me, Just a way to thank him...I am not to happy right now, normally it only takes me 4-5 hrs to smoke a whole bird on my tower stand..This has been on for 6 hrs and only up to 154 internal temp..I have applied the final coat on the out side, a mix of Q sauce and Maple syrup...Pic's will follow hopefully soon..

Back
Top Bottom