• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Never Been Hunting

N4_Actual

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
6   0
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m not sure if there is a thread started already which would answer some of my questions or provide me with information but I’ve never been hunting and would like to learn how to hunt. I’m not new to firearms and shoot regularly (yes I know guns aren’t the only things used for hunting). I have an interest in hunting but don’t know where to start. I’m familiar with the legal requirements as far as first taking a hunter’s safety course but not familiar with how to actually hunt. If anyone is willing to point me in the right direction or share some knowledge with me I’d greatly appreciate it. I know a lot of people learn this skill as it’s passed down from generations but I never had that opportunity so I am not sure where to begin. Thanks!

YouTube… there are great channels and videos on stand placement, calling, food plots vs hardwoods, shot placement, cleaning critters, and cooking critters.

growingdeer.tv on YouTube is one of my favorites for education. The hunting public is great too. Deer meat for dinner is too.

Hey everyone, I’m not sure if there is a thread started already which would answer some of my questions or provide me with information but I’ve never been hunting and would like to learn how to hunt. I’m not new to firearms and shoot regularly (yes I know guns aren’t the only things used for hunting). I have an interest in hunting but don’t know where to start. I’m familiar with the legal requirements as far as first taking a hunter’s safety course but not familiar with how to actually hunt. If anyone is willing to point me in the right direction or share some knowledge with me I’d greatly appreciate it. I know a lot of people learn this skill as it’s passed down from generations but I never had that opportunity so I am not sure where to begin. Thanks!

Fifteen years ago, I was in the same boat as you. No hunting tradition in my family, and wasn't close to anyone who hunted. Went to the bookstore and got a couple of books (that was still a thing back then). Took the GA hunter's ed course. Threw some very basic gear together. Started making day trips to the closest WMA during small game season. Squirrels are a good game to learn basic hunting on.

Learned a lot just by walking/sitting in the woods for hours. It took a while, but my hearing sharpened to the sounds of the woods, and I slowly got better at understanding what I was hearing. Watching critters of all types, learning what they do, understanding the patterns of sights and sounds. It's hard for someone to explain those lessons. I also learned to get quieter and more still. I found all of that learning to be as fun as the hunting.

Get some comfortable boots, appropriate clothes, study a topo map of a WMA that's reachable by you in a day trip. Start small. Stay within 1/2 mile of your vehicle on your first trip. Make sure you can navigate by landmarks. Pick good places to sit, watch, and listen.

If you do go to a WMA, make sure you have the correct licenses for whatever you do. I was stopped and checked by DNR on two different occassions.

Starting with squirrels is a very good idea. You have to learn to be quiet and still to be successful. It also teaches you that there are critters around even if you don't realize it. Find a good stand of oaks and sit tight for about 45 minutes. If you are very still and quiet any squirrels in the area will start moving again. The same tactic works to ambush deer moving through the area.

Squirrels are also good to start learning about cleaning and cooking wild game. If you use a .22lr you will also learn you have to be a pretty damn good shot to kill squirrels regularly. In fact, I recommend using a shotgun with #6 initially just so you can take some game before you get discouraged. A single shot .410 is all you need.

A couple of classics to start you off. Good fundamentals here.

Quick question, how many deer do you see in the photo.

Attachments

• 20211013_182612.jpg
    20211013_182612.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 50
YouTube… there are great channels and videos on stand placement, calling, food plots vs hardwoods, shot placement, cleaning critters, and cooking critters.

growingdeer.tv on YouTube is one of my favorites for education. The hunting public is great too. Deer meat for dinner is too.
Deermeatfordinner on YouTube is good. Lots of Florida hog hunting. He makes it seem to easy.

This was a picture this evening walking the little dog across the street on a bike path in PTC. 2 was the correct answer this time and they are both does. These deer are used to seeing people and don't react like they do when they are being hunted.

I agree that squirrels are a great way to start hunting. Besides, I have seen deer hunting squirrels several times because I wasn't moving.

Back
Top Bottom