• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

need tractor brought from Illinois to Ga. Anyone up for a haul?

Class C (Non-Commercial and Commercial) - Any single vehicle with a GVWR not in excess of 26,000 pounds; or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR, not in excess of 10,000 pounds; or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds, provided that the combination of vehicles has a gross combined vehicle weight rating, not in excess of 26,000 pounds, and any self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance. Includes three-wheeled vehicles using a steering wheel.

as I understand it, the total of truck and load cannot exceed 26000lbs

Your not reading and understanding what the regulations are saying. It is about the rating of the vehicles, not the actual weight. That is another issue altogether. Trucks are rated based on engine, transmission, tire size and axle capacity/ratio. Find me a dually that is rated less than 14,500 GVWR and I’ll show you a truck that is not designed for pulling loads (cowboy cadillac). Trailers are rated based on axle capacity and structural strength of the frame. 5 lug axles are generally 3500 lbs, 6 lug are generally 5000lbs, 8 lug are generally 7000 lbs each. Then the manufactures can derate a GVWR to allow use under the 26001 regs.
I forgot to mention also every driver of commercial rated vehicles have to have a Medical Examiners Certificate of fit for duty. Even farmers who’s vehicle is considered a Covered Farm Vehicle exempt. Also google M-21 regulations for farmers.
This is something I have 40+ Years experience in and I counsel and advise over 165 clients.

Your not reading and understanding what the regulations are saying. It is about the rating of the vehicles, not the actual weight. That is another issue altogether. Trucks are rated based on engine, transmission, tire size and axle capacity/ratio. Find me a dually that is rated less than 14,500 GVWR and I’ll show you a truck that is not designed for pulling loads (cowboy cadillac). Trailers are rated based on axle capacity and structural strength of the frame. 5 lug axels are generally 3500 lbs, 6 lug are generally 5000lbs, 8 lug are generally 7000 lbs each. Then the manufactures can debate a GVWR to allow use under the 26001 regs.
I forgot to mention also every driver of commercial rated vehicles have to have a Medical Examiners Certificate of fit for duty. Even farmers who’s vehicle is considered a Covered Farm Vehicle exempt. Also google M-21 regulations for farmers.
This is something I have 40+ Years experience in and I counsel and advise over 165 clients.
I have no doubt at all that you are factually correct. But I'm going to go out on a limb, and say 99.9% of all tractors I see on interstates, especially during food plot planting season, aren't adhering to any of those regs.
I pulled mine up 85 about 100 miles or so from the auction house to my property. Never even knew it was thing. Having said that, surprised I didn't kill myself and several others when it started to fish tail on the connector in downtown Atlanta. :shocked: That was fun.... So I'm not discounting the need for the regs, just the real world adherence and related risk in OPs situation.

I have no doubt at all that you are factually correct. But I'm going to go out on a limb, and say 99.9% of all tractors I see on interstates, especially during food plot planting season, aren't adhering to any of those regs.
I pulled mine up 85 about 100 miles or so from the auction house to my property. Never even knew it was thing. Having said that, surprised I didn't kill myself and several others when it started to fish tail on the connector in downtown Atlanta. :shocked: That was fun.... So I'm not discounting the need for the regs, just the real world adherence and related risk in OPs situation.
And that situation is why we have regs. To help our wives and children arrive at their destination safely.

I dragged my '08 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel crew cab, a 24' enclosed Haulmark trailer, inside was a '70 Chevelle w/big block, pit bike, huge tool box...across the PA certified scales.
Weighed 15,700 lbs
I know the trailer was 4K lbs empty and the car weighed 3750 lbs.

MVC-009S.JPG

You’re personal and occasional. Open the door on the truck and see what the GVWR is and look on the tongue of the trailer and see what that GVWR is and add them together and that is what the enforcement officer on the side of the road will rate you. Then he may pull scales out and weigh each axle and measure distance between rear truck axle and front trailer axle, go the the bridge scale and if your weigh is not distributed properly.....that is an over weight citation. I am just trying to educate everyone. I know 80% of the guys that pull trailers are not compliant and never get inspected but that one time is not an enjoyable education.

I dragged my '08 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel crew cab, a 24' enclosed Haulmark trailer, inside was a '70 Chevelle w/big block, pit bike, huge tool box...across the PA certified scales.
Weighed 15,700 lbs
I know the trailer was 4K lbs empty and the car weighed 3750 lbs.

View attachment 3231034
I had a 07 Ram 2500 just like your’s and it weighed 7980 lbs when I drove across the scales but it was rated at 9900 GVWR. That means I could load 1900+ lbs of cargo and or trailer tongue weight and be legal. I pulled a Takeuchi TL140 that weighed 9700 lbs plus two or three attachments on an 18ft / 12,000 gvwr trailer and I was grossly over legal weigh. I probably pulled it 25,000 miles in three years and never got inspected but I was just lucky. And I never crossed state lines and passed weigh stations. It’s a crap shoot if you don’t know your limits and the regs.

Back
Top Bottom