• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

need tractor brought from Illinois to Ga. Anyone up for a haul?

manland1 manland1 are you saying just hire someone? the truck, trailer, tractor and bush hog should be under 26,000lbs. I never even considered needing a CDL. just not that heavy I think.
The GVWR of the Truck plus the GVWR of the trailer is what determines CDL or not and the agencies that have their hand out for taxes and fees. Most dually pickups are around 15k gvwr and two axle trailers that will haul that tractor safely that distance will be at least 12k gvwr. My 4th grade arithmetic says that is 27,000 lbs GVWR. With or without a load.

I am just giving you the regulations. I have hauled equipment several times non-compliant, once with a F150 and a too small trailer and almost lost the truck, trailer and tractor in the median of I-40 coming out of Memphis. That was 30 years ago and the regulations and enforcement weren’t near as strict as today. Kentucky and Tennessee will eat your lunch.

My home town is 30 miles south of Spfld, IL. It is about 675 from Lawrenceville to Springfield and 12 hours each way. And this is in a passenger vehicle.....truck and trailer add another 2 hours each way, then there is loading time too. I would look into an IL carrier hauling it down to you.

I thought towing over 10,000 trailer or trailer with a gvw over 10,000 required a Class A CDL, even if it was be8ng pulled by a 3000 pound Mini Cooper.
Every DOT officer that sees that tractor on a trailer knows it is going to be over 10K

The GVWR of the Truck plus the GVWR of the trailer is what determines CDL or not and the agencies that have their hand out for taxes and fees. Most dually pickups are around 15k gvwr and two axle trailers that will haul that tractor safely that distance will be at least 12k gvwr. My 4th grade arithmetic says that is 27,000 lbs GVWR. With or without a load.

I am just giving you the regulations. I have hauled equipment several times non-compliant, once with a F150 and a too small trailer and almost lost the truck, trailer and tractor in the median of I-40 coming out of Memphis. That was 30 years ago and the regulations and enforcement weren’t near as strict as today. Kentucky and Tennessee will eat your lunch.

average 1 ton truck 10k
overkill trailer for what I need: 6k
tractor and bush hog : 8k

I'm no good at math either but that seems to be under the limit. and most equipment trailers from big tex, gatormade, country boy, etc.. are between 4300 and 5300lbs. tractor should be 4050lbs and bush hog about 1000lbs. grand total 20-24k lbs. I've been individually researching and comparing weights of trucks, trailers, tractors and bush hogs. as well as capacities and limits.

a 3/4 ton truck from 2015 and up should be capable of 12-13k towing. I don't even think I need a 1 ton.

I thought towing over 10,000 trailer or trailer with a gvw over 10,000 required a Class A CDL, even if it was be8ng pulled by a 3000 pound Mini Cooper.
Every DOT officer that sees that tractor on a trailer knows it is going to be over 10K

Class C (Non-Commercial and Commercial) - Any single vehicle with a GVWR not in excess of 26,000 pounds; or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR, not in excess of 10,000 pounds; or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds, provided that the combination of vehicles has a gross combined vehicle weight rating, not in excess of 26,000 pounds, and any self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance. Includes three-wheeled vehicles using a steering wheel.

as I understand it, the total of truck and load cannot exceed 26000lbs

Back
Top Bottom