• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need the Best 1911/2011 Gunsmith

It does not need to be hot for the problem to happen. The locking lugs on the barrel and slide appear to be dragging on the corners as they unlock. This gun has a fully ramped barrel and I am thinking the bottom lug is too long, The barrel was replaced on the rebuild. Thanks for your suggestions.

Never see it but if the barrel drop does not disengage the barrel from slide bad things are going to happen especially if you are shooting major. , the barrel and slide Should be easy to disengage if you hit the back of the slide and cam it over the barrel link. Is the brass hard to remove from the barrel after driving out the takedown pin.

you should out the builder he is a jerk for not taking responsibility.

The brass falls out of the chamber freely. The pistol runs fine, no FTF or FTE while shooting, up until it locks up. I will post pics of the barrel and slide locking lugs today.

Here are the pictures of the barrel and slide lugs. There seems to be a good bit of contact on the corner of the lugs on the barrel and slide. The link is the one that was in the gun when it locked up, it is a number 5 link, you can see both the link pin hole and the slide stop hole are both damaged. The last picture is of the slide stop that is bent, this was also in the gun when it locked up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_162653172_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200619_162653172_HDR.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20200619_162711394.jpg
    IMG_20200619_162711394.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20200619_162723788.jpg
    IMG_20200619_162723788.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20200619_200212991.jpg
    IMG_20200619_200212991.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20200619_200234666.jpg
    IMG_20200619_200234666.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 69
I bought the gun from a member here. I am supposed to be the third owner of the gun, according to the builder. His reasoning for not working on the pistol is that someone has worked on it between the time he sold it and the time I got it. What I do not understand is since he built a new slide, installed a new KKM barrel and fitted all the parts, is why he will not warranty the pistol now. If the problem was with some other part of the pistol, like the frame or fire control parts, I could understand the concern, but since the problem is with the new slide that he built, I think he should still work on the pistol. This is a copy of the letter he sent with the pistol.

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_200110690 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200619_200110690 (1).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 77
Another wild guess from the blurry pics is the the barrel is not fully disengaging from the lugs in the slide and it is rolling the edge of the slide lug enough to create a ridge that locks the gun down after a few rounds. I cannot explain why you do not feel it dragging when you manually cycle the gun. If the slide release pin hole through the frame is elongated, the frame is done. That barrel looks bad with the deep scratches from the slide. It would be hard to clean them up.
I understand the builders position if someone else worked on the gun but it would have been worth his time to fix it, if it can be fixed. After reading the story, I still would never buy a gun from him.

This is a very interesting situation. I would consider taking him to small claims court. Once he worked on it for you as you said, I am pretty sure he took responsibility for it. He also demonstrated that he felt compelled to fix it the first time. So, why shouldn’t he fix it a second time?

He should of had you sign away the warrantee before he agreed to work on it.

Unfortunately, for you, these things end up costing money to resolve, and they get personal. You will need another well thought of professional gunsmith for a statement about the cause of the problem- builder error. It will probably be more trouble than it is worth.

I am just a fan and a very familiar user of the 1911, not a gunsmith. I am pretty certain that the barrel lockup and timing are off. The barrel is not likely the cause of the problem. Of course it could be overfit and now unserviceable. It is more likely a combination of the height of the frame bridge, the link, AND the barrel contact with the vertical area of the frame that the barrel iimpacts when the slide is fully retracted.

I hope it all works out for everyone involved.

I would call the guys at APW, send them the pics, ask them what they can do for you.

Back
Top Bottom