• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need suggestions for replacing water line

MyRight

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
5   0
Reaction score
I have my main water line that runs under an area of ground that is now part of my neighbor's property. At one time it was all one piece of land, but the previous owner divided it up, which is why part of my line now runs under the neighbors property line.
They have used a part of that area to temporarily store vehicles, which now seems to have cracked the plastic line. My water bill was tripled and now I can see the muddy area where the line has been damaged.
I need to dig that area up to replace the damaged line and want any good suggestions on exactly how to replace so I don't have to worry about it getting damaged in the future.
My father suggested replacing with PEX, as it's flexible and won't crack like cpvc.
Should I also add sand or pea gravel to cover the PEX, insert the PEX inside some other type of pipe or what would be other options to protect my line?

There are several ways to handle this.

1) Use PVC again but go deeper
2) Use properly bedded PEX
3) Use either inside a schedule 80 pipe.

Easiest repair is #3 with PVC.

If you want something REALLY solid, cover the schedule 80 outer pipe with six inches of concrete before you cover with dirt. You are basically creating a reinforced tunnel with this approach.

I assume you are communicating with your neighbor, i.e., they know you plan to do this? Hopefully you are on good terms with them.

There are several ways to handle this.

1) Use PVC again but go deeper
2) Use properly bedded PEX
3) Use either inside a schedule 80 pipe.

Easiest repair is #3 with PVC.

If you want something REALLY solid, cover the schedule 80 outer pipe with six inches of concrete before you cover with dirt. You are basically creating a reinforced tunnel with this approach.

I assume you are communicating with your neighbor, i.e., they know you plan to do this? Hopefully you are on good terms with them.

I like #3 option, but I'm leaning towards PEX for it's flexibility.
I was looking at something like the below for the protective outer line.

The line I will be replacing is about a 30 foot area.
I'm on good terms with the neighbor, so I shouldn't have any issues while getting this repaired.
After speaking with my wife, it looks like we plan on permanently correcting this line issue in the spring when I get my big bonus from work to run new line from the street. We're taking about 750 feet up to the house.

1638545875162.png

Have you dug out a section to see how deep the line is? That may change the approach. I've done this type of project a few times on my property. All in red clay soil.

Three years ago, I connected two buildings with an 18" trench. I laid in 2" schedule 80 conduit, with a 1" pex line inside the conduit. That gets driven over every day, some days by UPS and Fedex residential delivery trucks. On rare occassions by a heavier vehicle, like a propane delivery truck. Zero worry.

A couple of years ago, I laid in a 3/4" schedule 40 water PVC line, about 150' of it, 1 foot below grade, to a greenhouse. Occassional compact tractor (2 tons) traffic. I don't worry about it.

This spring, I laid in a 1/2" schedue 40 PVC line, about 75' of it, 1 foot below grade, to an animal pen. Only traffic on that line is a pretty rare traverse by a golf cart, tractor, or my 1/2 ton pickup. I don't worry about that one, either.

My house also has a 1" PVC water well line under our dirt/gravel driveway, that gets run over every day by cars, delivery trucks, etc. Not sure how deep it was laid under the driveway, but it's been there since 1992, with no problems that I am aware of.

Yes, there is a cutoff valve near the driveway that had the line damage earlier this year by delivery trucks.
When I dug down to replace it, it was around 18".
I'm thinking I should be able to dig this out with a shovel, but if it is kicking my butt, I'll bite the bullet and rent a trench digger.

I have my main water line that runs under an area of ground that is now part of my neighbor's property. At one time it was all one piece of land, but the previous owner divided it up, which is why part of my line now runs under the neighbors property line.
They have used a part of that area to temporarily store vehicles, which now seems to have cracked the plastic line. My water bill was tripled and now I can see the muddy area where the line has been damaged.
I need to dig that area up to replace the damaged line and want any good suggestions on exactly how to replace so I don't have to worry about it getting damaged in the future.
My father suggested replacing with PEX, as it's flexible and won't crack like cpvc.
Should I also add sand or pea gravel to cover the PEX, insert the PEX inside some other type of pipe or what would be other options to protect my line?

My parents had a similar issue with a property being split up many years ago (long before they purchased it). If your right of way is not clearly spelled out in the deed, I would look at moving the line if possible or getting it added to both deeds. This neighbor might we easy to work with; the next one might not be.

They had the well, neighbors had the septic. The symbiotic relationship was listed on both deeds (they provide water, the neighbors handled the septic and it was not really an issue for 30+ years. City sewer (but not water) came along and the long time neighbors changed. There was an issue with the water supply pipes to the neighbor (which now ran under a street) and then the well itself. The neighbors were no longer dealing with the septic, but still expected water (and didn't want to help with the repair costs). It took multiple lawyers to work it out.

determine the street pressure
before you use that black pipe
in Northwest Bartow street pressure is 145# and goes higher at night (my house in Woodstock had 175# from the street)
or
you could install a PRV at the meter to reduce the pressure
NOTE: max pressure setting for a PRV is 75#

at 750' run I would use a pipe size 1" or larger
it's VERY VERY easy to kink roll pipe in cold weather, and the ears of a kink will be your next leak
it is also easy to kink roll pipe in warm weather, so be very careful on your install

Back
Top Bottom