• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need ODts Advice on Camper Travel Trailer Options

ramair6speed

Default rank <1500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
231   0
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a new 5th wheel camper soon and dont know much about them. I went to a local dealer and really liked the Keystone Cougar. I tried asking the salesman what would be on the same level make and model wise, to look at other options. I currently have a Duramax 2500 as a tow rig. I have a few questions and wanted to see if i could get some advice.

1. What is in the 50-60k range comparable to a Cougar 5th wheel that may be better buy?
2. Me and my two girls want to take a trip out west, where have you guys been that's a must stop at spot?
3. I'm used to hauling tractor trailers but this is my first go on 5th wheel campers what should i know you wish someone told you when getting started or options that are a must have on the camper?

Thanks ODT

I'm looking to purchase a new 5th wheel camper soon and dont know much about them. I went to a local dealer and really liked the Keystone Cougar. I tried asking the salesman what would be on the same level make and model wise, to look at other options. I currently have a Duramax 2500 as a tow rig. I have a few questions and wanted to see if i could get some advice.

1. What is in the 50-60k range comparable to a Cougar 5th wheel that may be better buy?
2. Me and my two girls want to take a trip out west, where have you guys been that's a must stop at spot?
3. I'm used to hauling tractor trailers but this is my first go on 5th wheel campers what should i know you wish someone told you when getting started or options that are a must have on the camper?

Thanks ODT

FYI, a travel trailer usually refers to a bumper tow RV. A 5th wheel is a 5th wheel.

1. That's out of the range I deal with but Forest River is a huge manufacturer with a few different lines. We've always liked the Wildwood and Salem models. Keystone Cougar is a good one too though. Dealers are pretty terrible so do your own homework.
2. As a kid we tent camped in the Rockies in CO. I'll get my kids there eventually because it's a must see.
3. Any major brand 50k RV will have all the must have options. Lots of good youtube videos out there for beginner RV'ers. Find an empty parking lot to do a little practice pulling and backing up and you'll probably be good to go.

Never had one but have 3 neighbors that do.

So, two things; you're getting in at a time where camper sales have been booming. 2) A lot of places are booked up so expect to make your plans/reservations in advance for campgrounds with hookups.

Back
Top Bottom