5/1 Update* Need neighbor advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

UptaCamp

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
158   0
Reaction score
I have a neighbor that poured his driveway, to the back of his house, over my property line (approximately 5 feet encroaching for a stretch of 15-20 feet).

Back story: he is an abuser of multiple substances, so it makes it difficult to find him in a sober state so as to have a productive conversation. He and I get along alright, but he can be a wild card.

Anyway, he didn't file any permits or get a survey before hiring a crew of guys to form out and pour the driveway. He also didn't attend the concrete pour so even if he knew the property line, he wasn't there to say anything.

I think I could possibly encounter an issue if I were to try to sell the house and someone realized that he had part of his driveway on my property.

On principle, my first instinct is to have an honest conversation with him explaining that it is a problem and that it needs to be corrected. But the other part of me wonders how much hell it could unleash from the semi-unstable guy and should I just wait until we decide to sell the house (likely in the next couple years) and then bring it up. He did this last summer, so as I understand it, I have up to 7 years before he could be granted an easement by prescription on my property.

IDK, what do you all think?

PS, I'm not asking for legal advise, just general advise if you have had to deal with something similar or have knowledge ie realtor.

EDIT: I was able to locate the rebar pins, so I actually can see that it is an encroachment.

Next door neighbor had the other neighbor put up a high dollar fence 4 feet over the property line. His wife was an attorney, offered the opportunity to either move the fence and remediate the disturbed area or buy the strip. Neighbor found it cheaper to buy the strip.

Do not wait, time is your enemy on legal matters.

Start parking on it....it’s on your property. But if you’re trying to be civil the first step is discussion...where it goes from there is up to him
Yeah, I plan to be civil presenting my issue with it. It just irks me that people don't consider other people when they do crap like this.

I’d nip it in the bud. Downside is you will probably have to pay a few hundred for a professional surveyor to certify that little bit of encroachment.

You can file against your neighbor in small claims court to be reimbursed for that survey fee and for any other monetary damages to your land where they graded and poured concrete... or maybe your property is now be effected by additional rain water runoff caused by his non-permitted driveway?
And it is, his driveway slopes toward my property so surface runoff is accelerated toward my property along the impervious surface, as opposed to the earth that was there previously.

My neighbor's fence started on his side of the ppty line then encroached on my ppty by 25+ft at the back corner. He didn't build the fence, but he may have known about it and was trying to "whistle past the grave yard." He finally had it moved several weeks after we talked (with my surveyor standing there). Sent him a registered letter which may have helped light a fire under him. Needed this done bc I'm about to cut trees, but it also truly irked me that he was fine letting me pay taxes on a big sliver of my land that he was enjoying for himself. Turned out to be a decent guy, though we'll prolly never be besties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom