• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need ideas, multiple kids biting at the bit to hunt!

AR might be a better platform for the 9 y/0 due to the adjustable buttstock, low recoil.

You
can find Jr model rifles in some calibers but I’m sure you’re aware of this.

I too have a hard time with my Grandsons and figured I’d just let them practice with my excalibur 335 micro which has a pretty short length of pull.
They’re not too interested in hunting themselves yet so I’ll probably end up just taking them when I hunt my tower blind just to get them more acclimated to the aspects of it all before introducing them to weapons.
Now my 6 y/o granddaughter OTOH is chomping at the bit to go hunting with me.

Ok here is the situation, my 3 oldest want to deer hunt on our property this year, which is a good thing. Their ages are: 14 boy, 12 girl, and 9 boy. My concern is having firearms that the younger two can successfully take down a deer. I've only hunted deer with larger calibers like 3006 it 270. And my 14 yo can easily use the 270 so that's what he is using. I think the recoil, weight, and size of this rifle is too much for the younger ones.

My options for the younger two is either allow them to hunt with an AR-15 or start a post on here and trade a firearm I have like a Xdmod2 or Sub 2K for something they can use like a 20ga or a243. I've never hunted deer with an AR but heard it could be done.

The longest shot they would make is less than 75 yards from ground blind but most will be under 50.

What are your thoughts?
Which would you do is you were in my shoes?
The bigger calibers are not necessary. I have found that rifles from .223 to .243 in single shot rifles work very well for youngsters, especially first starting out. .410 slug guns work well also, took my first deer with one. The single shot rifle also makes it a little safer as a starter rifle.

The bigger calibers are not necessary. I have found that rifles from .223 to .243 in single shot rifles work very well for youngsters, especially first starting out. .410 slug guns work well also, took my first deer with one. The single shot rifle also makes it a little safer as a starter rifle.
Just saw the perfect starter rifle in the rifle for sale forum, New England handi rifle .243 cal single barrel with scope. $350.00

Back
Top Bottom