• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need ideas, multiple kids biting at the bit to hunt!

Get 7.62x39 upper for the AR15 and put them in the freezer from now on. I've been using one for years and have taken a lot of deer with it. Hornady SST are my preferred round; but have killed a bunch with plain old Wolf 123HP ammo. Light recoil and deadly on target. Bonus is that the ammo is still very reasonable and you (and kids) can get a lot of practice in before the season starts. C Product mags are also the ones you want for this upper.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to be on the look out in classifieds for trade options like the ones y'all mentioned.

If nothing else I'll use the AR for them

300 blackout hands down.30 cal bullet at 30-30 volicity with minimum recoil.they will be limiting there shots within a 100 yards anyway hopefully.

243 sounded good, but I also liked the 7.62x39 upper ideas. Short enough length of pull I would say is as important as low recoil and the AR platform sounds like a great idea. I just don't like 223 for deer. Too light and deflects too easy. I've shot deer with a 223 and didn't like results, just saying

Old school, 30-30. Rifles are light, recoil is light, been putting meat on the table over a century. At that distance a lever in 30-30, 357, 45 Colt, 44 mag would get it done.

I second that idea on the last 3 levers. Very light recoil. I've taken a deer @130yds with a 45Colt and 100yds with 44mag. One shot kills. The 357 at close range, 1 big doe ran about 40yds with 1 shot and 1 with 2 shots dropped were it stood. 357 is a little light. Sorry not much of a fan with 30-30 and the ballistics are about the same for 7.62x39. That 45 or 44 should be a good brush gun. The 45Colt Winchester Silver tip would be an excellent round and if you load, the 44mag with a 240grFP is a good deer stopper

Back
Top Bottom