• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help with a Savage Model 10SP

bigtall

Bear Icon Lifetime Supporter
Supreme Fishmaster Ninja Commando
118   0
Reaction score
Friday I was at the range making holes at 200 yards with a Savage Model 10 SP in .308. Round number 26 was less of a boom and more of an extended explosion. Gases blew out from around the bolt into my face, from up underneath the handguard and it smoked for several minutes. Now the bolt is frozen shut and the trigger is locked in place. I have had it saturated with gun scrubber for the last several days and nothing is budging. I am going to send it off to Savage but wanted to delve into the wisdom of the ancients before sending it off. I still am not sure what exactly happened, but I am glad that I was wearing my brown pants that day. Does anybody have any similar experiences?
Ammo is GEORGIA ARMS .308 Winchester 168gr Boattail Hollow Point TARGET LOAD.

Probably a case head separation. Bring it by any evening if you come to the Airport area.... Getting bolt open is the easy part. I'd want to do a quick headspace check on the rifle, but I'd doubt that it'd leave the factory far enough out-of-spec for it to be the cause.

Probably a case head separation. Bring it by any evening if you come to the Airport area.... Getting bolt open is the easy part. I'd want to do a quick headspace check on the rifle, but I'd doubt that it'd leave the factory far enough out-of-spec for it to be the cause.
I will do that. My next concern is if it can be used after this.

Back
Top Bottom