• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help on pistol rail mounted lights

eckoblue03

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
I wanted to see if there were any members out there that could recommend a good pistol rail mounted light that won't break the bank. I don't really want LED I unless you can change my mind. I think I want bright of course and compact not bulky. Thanks in advance to all who put in their two cents.

Streamlight TLR-1, it is an LED but LED's will last waaaayyyyy longer than the zenon lights. Also the won't go through the batteries nearly as fast. You can get em' at MidwayUSA.com for about $100 and they put out 135 lumens, enough to blind an attacker temporarily. They come with inserts to fit 4 different rails. This is what it looks like on a Glock:
i51.tinypic.com_3010mlz.jpg

The only one worth having is a Surefire X300. You can stalk ebay for deals on them, or the older X200s also pop up at a good price from time to time. Yes, they are more expensive but I really do believe you are getting your money's worth.

Brightness, durability, operation.

The TLR-1 is what, 135 lumens on a fresh set of batteries? The X300 runs 170.

Durability. For all of the Surefires I've sold, people I've met that have seriously used them, etc I've yet to find someone that has killed one. On the other hand, I know of many TLR-1s that are stuck in closets or dumped after being worn out or broken.

Operation. Setting aside all of the switch options, the operation of the light if much more versatile. The temporary on/off is perfect for use on any platform (push forward to bump on). The constant on is easy to use instead of accidentally pushing one way and only temporarily getting light when you might need it most.

Overall, it's a buy once cry once situation. Again, I can't tell you how many people I've sold X300s to that had TLR-1s. Surefire gets a lot of crap for being "overpriced", but they really are the industry leaders in flashlights. They have a strictly enforced MAP policy but try to find a local dealer and work a deal. If you're going to depend on it to save your life one day, why cut corners on your last ditch equipment (if it's things have gone to guns it's a pretty bad day).

Brightness, durability, operation.

The TLR-1 is what, 135 lumens on a fresh set of batteries? The X300 runs 170.

Durability. For all of the Surefires I've sold, people I've met that have seriously used them, etc I've yet to find someone that has killed one. On the other hand, I know of many TLR-1s that are stuck in closets or dumped after being worn out or broken.

Operation. Setting aside all of the switch options, the operation of the light if much more versatile. The temporary on/off is perfect for use on any platform (push forward to bump on). The constant on is easy to use instead of accidentally pushing one way and only temporarily getting light when you might need it most.

Overall, it's a buy once cry once situation. Again, I can't tell you how many people I've sold X300s to that had TLR-1s. Surefire gets a lot of crap for being "overpriced", but they really are the industry leaders in flashlights. They have a strictly enforced MAP policy but try to find a local dealer and work a deal. If you're going to depend on it to save your life one day, why cut corners on your last ditch equipment (if it's things have gone to guns it's a pretty bad day).

I would consider a 29 dollar rail mounted UTG light cutting corners where it matters. I think a 100-130 dollar FLASHLIGHT is more than adequate for my uses of sitting on my nightstand.

I can understand the guy trying to sell the $250.00 dollar FLASHLIGHT telling everybody that nothing else is worth owning, but it simply is not true.

Last edited:
I like the TLR-3. I have long throw lights if I'm checking out the woods or something. To clear the house it works just fine and, it's much smaller than the TLR-1. I think I paid $90 at SPD?

Back
Top Bottom