• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help choosing 308 dies

08roadking

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   1
Reaction score
Im trying to decide which set of dies would be best for loading 308 for a m1a and would also work for a bolt gun. Would a standard full length die work for that or is their someithing that would be better?

What type of brass are you using.

If your using once fired mil brass a small base set will be helpful. If you want small base dies the RCBS Black Box SB dies are tough to beat. Cheap, and work well.

Even if you have the SB dies I’m a big fan of the Forster Dies. They are a little different than most full length dies because of their placement of the expander ball.

on my 308 bolt gun I use the SB dies the first time through then I use a Redding body die combined with a Lee Collet die. Makes wicked good ammo.

I don’t use .308 in an auto loader but I do have an M1 Garrand in 30-06. Similarly I use the SB dies first time through then I use the Forster full length die and a Forster micro meter seating die. Like I said, big fan of the Forster stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of brass are you using.

If your using once fired mil brass a small base set will be helpful. If you want small base dies the RCBS Black Box SB dies are tough to beat. Cheap, and work well.

Even if you have the SB dies I’m a big fan of the Forster Dies. They are a little different than most full length dies because of their placement of the expander ball.

on my 308 bolt gun I use the SB dies the first time through then I use a Redding body die combined with a Lee Collet die. Makes wicked good ammo.

I don’t use .308 in an auto loader but I do have an M1 Garrand in 30-06. Similarly I use the SB dies first time through then I use the Forster full length die and a Forster micro meter seating die. Like I said, big fan of the Forster stuff.

I use the EXACT same thing. redding body die, lee collet...cause I don't turn necks.

I got a few thousand new starline brass. But i also have some once fired hornady brass. Just want to be able to shoot it in either gun. Ive read a lot about it but can seem to find a definite answer

I got a few thousand new starline brass. But i also have some once fired hornady brass. Just want to be able to shoot it in either gun. Ive read a lot about it but can seem to find a definite answer

If you want to simply the process and only want one set of dies you’ll need a quality FL die, I’d say try the Forster if you can find it. They are often sold out.

Do a little research on the Forster FL and how they are different than other FL dies.

I’ve used dies from every major manufacturer and the only FL dies I still use are Forster (besides the RCBS SB dies).

Their micro meter seaters are top of the line as well. Used to be able to buy them as a set but I don’t think they offer sets with the micrometer seater any longer.

the brass will be fine in either gun...BUT I would dedicate a batch for the bolt gun. weight sort the starline stuff and get the most consistent batch of 200-300 pieces for the bolt gun. a regular die set should be fine for that. IF you want more accuracy down the road you can get a body and neck die set for the bolt gun and really control your setback. then you will get into uniforming your flash holes and primer pockets...nevermind an arbor press for bullet seating...then you MIGHT start annealing your brass...it is a slippery slope. be careful out there.

Your right.. the forster dies are hard to come by. Out of stock everywhere. A buddy of mine has a set of redding type s full length dies he is willing to part with. Has anyone had any experience with this die? A lot of the people on the reloading forums seems to like them.

for dies they all are about the same,,, so pick any brand and it will do the job. i base this on the fact i have been reloading since 1973 and have every brand of dies made and some that are no longer made. they all work. so you can spend big money or spend little money. they both will do the same, load match grade ammo. the setup of your reloading equipment is the biggest factor when it come to making match ammo. then brass prep is next. then load development is next. next is your equipment, rifle/scope/trigger,etc... but the biggest factor is you, the shooter.

dies are like pickup truck brands, everybody like the brand they drive and don't like the others brands. but think about it all pickup trucks brands do the same thing, get you to point a to point b. same with reloading dies.

now it you want to use the ammo in different rifles you will need to full length size the brass. full length sizing sizes the brass to the round standard so it will fit different rifles. when you neck size you are making rounds for one rifle that will be used in that one rifle. not all rifle chambers are the same.

Back
Top Bottom