• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need advice on transmission swap 1987 Chevy truck

RATBROWN

Default rank <200 posts
Previously rat brown
1   0
Reaction score
I have a 1987 Chevy c30 with the granny low 4 speed manual transmission. Of course I never use 1st gear. I would like to do a swap and put a 6 speed close ratio manual transmission in it. Anyone had experience or know what transmission will work for the swap? 1987 Chevy c30 flat bed with narrow dually rear end, granny low 4 speed manual transmission, and a radical 355 motor. Trying to make it more road friendly as far as shifts go. I'm thinking the 6 speed swap will give me the road ratios I need and retain my pulling power. Thanks

I did but that would still leave me with the ,might as well say, 3 speed on the column. That's what it's like driving it with the current transmission ratios. Thanks
Have you considered adding a Gear Vendors Overdrive? You’ll still have the towing torque and will save your clutc

Look up advanced adapters or Novak. Either should offer what your looking for. Alot of newer trucks had the nv4500. Which is a 5 speed. But I'm sure someone makes a kit to put the nv5600 in it. Which is 6 speed. Both have granny low 1st and an overdrive

If we share the same understanding of the definition of "radical", 3200rpm is the beginning of the power band!

Back
Top Bottom