• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need a XJ Cherokee Expert

nwbn90

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
65   1
Reaction score
Ok so I’m planning on getting a high mileage XJ. I planned on doing a 4.0l replacement engine almost immediately. What brand motors would you recommend? No LS swaps. Nothing crazy. Which 4.0l crate motor is the best?

Ok so I’m planning on getting a high mileage XJ. I planned on doing a 4.0l replacement engine almost immediately. What brand motors would you recommend? No LS swaps. Nothing crazy. Which 4.0l crate motor is the best?
Q: U sure the motor needs to be replaced. Those 4.0's seem to run forever if maintained. I'd do a quick and easy compression check 1st. :)

And a leak down test.

If it’s a 97-01 it probably already got a new motor because those were junk from the factory.
darn it. I have a '98 LOL.

Just got it from my neighbor. Has about 100k miles on it. Doing some stuff before I take it and leave it at our beach house in FL. New off road tires, shocks and air adj shocks for back (towing a boat to the ramps), PS pump (this one is noisy and sometimes is tight to steer), etc.

Gulf Co FL lets you purchase a beach driving permit and you can literally drive right up to the water. No carrying a bunch of crap in the sand. LOL

darn it. I have a '98 LOL.

Just got it from my neighbor. Has about 100k miles on it. Doing some stuff before I take it and leave it at our beach house in FL. New off road tires, shocks and air adj shocks for back (towing a boat to the ramps), PS pump (this one is noisy and sometimes is tight to steer), etc.

Gulf Co FL lets you purchase a beach driving permit and you can literally drive right up to the water. No carrying a bunch of crap in the sand. LOL
Theres exceptions to everything, but the '99 was my favorite of the 6 XJ"s I owned.

Back
Top Bottom