• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need a mechanic to come help with leveling kit install

adamhall2942

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
261   1
Reaction score
Damn ol youtube got me hyped up to install a set of spacers for a leveling kit on my 2014 f-150, im no mechanic. never was, i have common sense but that only goes so far. i have one side completely disassembled and cant get the friggin steering arm linkage To pop loose to drop the arm down to remove the strut. anyone willing to come finish this and do the passenger side as well. heck someone that knows what they are doing should be able to do it in less than 2 hrs. my stupid self accomplished getting everything ready on the driver side in 30 minutes. will pay of course! located in ranger ga 30734 near calhoun area. need this done tomorrow or saturday. I will also help if an extra set of hands are needed or etc.

Attachments

• 605C437F-5657-47F0-AE1A-8F0EDB84F8C8.jpeg
    605C437F-5657-47F0-AE1A-8F0EDB84F8C8.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 58
  • F3849EF7-7B72-473A-B68D-5624C63E4CE0.jpeg
    F3849EF7-7B72-473A-B68D-5624C63E4CE0.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 4CF1A226-5B5D-4848-B29E-6EB25CB1A0A2.jpeg
    4CF1A226-5B5D-4848-B29E-6EB25CB1A0A2.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 58
I am pretty sure the bottom of the strut is connected to the lower control arm

you will probably have to loosen your lower control arm bolts to move the arm low enough to separate things for the spacer

also you’ll need an alignment afterwards since the spacers change your suspension geometry

regarding the steering arm,strike the knuckle part with a large hammer. The part the arm goes through. Don’t strike the arm itself. See if that gets it loose

Dont take this the wrong way...BUT....
Your best course of action, after reading your post, is to put it all back together and take it somewhere and have a pro do it. If I recall correctly, this install requires a lift, a BIG pry bar, and a good bit more dis-assembly. By your own admission your no mechanic....well I am.....and there are a thousand ways to get seriously hurt or tear up your truck staring at you right there. Take it somewhere, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Ive done a few of these and never had to disconnect the steering. You should be able to unbolt the strut on top of the tower, push down the lower A-am and pull it out of the tower pocket and then unbolt the lower strut from the A-arm. You need to be sure you have the truck set up well on good jack stands - not just the floor jack.

The part you are on is really the easy part. I am personally not a fan of using spring compressors and "stored energy". If that sounds like too much work take it to a mechanic and pay the $300.

Understand your frustration. I recently did a front level on my daughter's 4Runner. Watched several youtube videos, and a combination of them all helped me through this.

It’s much easier and produces a better quality ride to go with the bilstien 5100 setup. It will not bind the suspension like the spacer do. It uses preload on the springs to achieve the lift. Not only that they got just like factory struts instead of trying to stuff a strut with a two inch spacer into the factory location. I had two inch spacers on my 13 fx4 and it rode like ****. I was very pleased with the bilstien setup. Less body roll and much better ride
e403a6f68e5c902877664ebf424be5da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s much easier and produces a better quality ride to go with the bilstien 5100 setup. It will not bind the suspension like the spacer do. It uses preload on the springs to achieve the lift. Not only that they got just like factory struts instead of trying to stuff a strut with a two inch spacer into the factory location. I had two inch spacers on my 13 fx4 and it rode like ****. I was very pleased with the bilstien setup. Less body roll and much better ride
e403a6f68e5c902877664ebf424be5da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm buying these for my F150. Very good shocks for the $.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom