• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Navy denies NFL opportunity for Midshipman

The article spells it out pretty clearly. He made a commitment to the Navy and is now trying to get out of it.

My understanding is there is an exception policy in place for athletes with a legit chance to play in a pro league, and the armed forces have allowed deferment of service obligation in those cases. And, according to this kid, they told him he would have a chance to defer.

Athletes have a shelf life. Football shelf life is very short, and generally even shorter for guys who defy the odds and make it from a non-major conference school. If you are going to have an exemption policy, and you represent to athletes (as an incentive to have them attend one of the military academies) that they will have the chance to defer service, then best to let them do it when they make the cut at a pro team.

So you really think he went to Navy to actually be a part of the Armed Forces? He didn't get any opportunity or scholarships to Division 1

Read a long article about him. Says he's going to be proud to serve whether it's now or after his football career; it's one of two dreams he's always had. The other is football. He was told by the Navy, both were possible.

lol.... this won't last.

In contrast to the Navy's denial, four graduates from other service academies have been allowed to forego their service commitment this year. The four are Jon Rhattigan, a West Point grad who signed with the Seattle Seahawks; Nolan Laufenberg, an Air Force grad who signed with the Denver Broncos; George Silvanic, an Air Force grad who signed with the Los Angeles Rams; and Parker Ferguson, an Air Force grad who signed with the New York Jets.
"While I acknowledge that these men are from different branches of the armed services, it puzzles me as to why I am the only person to be denied this opportunity," Kinley wrote in his statement.

Care to guess the race of Mr. Rhattigan, Laufenberg, Silvanic and Ferguson? :doh:

You accept the free ride to the academy, you do what you agreed to do in return. Not sure why that's so hard. If you don't like those conditions, go to a different university. It's not like it was a surprise.

My understanding is there is an exception policy in place for athletes with a legit chance to play in a pro league, and the armed forces have allowed deferment of service obligation in those cases. And, according to this kid, they told him he would have a chance to defer.

Athletes have a shelf life. Football shelf life is very short, and generally even shorter for guys who defy the odds and make it from a non-major conference school. If you are going to have an exemption policy, and you represent to athletes (as an incentive to have them attend one of the military academies) that they will have the chance to defer service, then best to let them do it when they make the cut at a pro team.

That was spelled out in the article as well.

Here's the deal, he went to Annapolis with the agreement that he would become a commissioned officer in the US Navy upon graduation. The Navy does not offer an exemption policy at this time nor when he signed up. If he had wanted to go to college to make in in the NFL he should have never chosen a service school.

You mean he signed up for selective service but something better came up?
Him: "Yeah... I am Happy for their decision, but I feel like crying ..." :nod::pound::pound:
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom