• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Serbu 50 Cal Exploded

View attachment 3600770

A few guys on Iowa class battleships trusted their lives to threaded plugs, a.k.a. the Welin breech block.

A plug, not a cap, but only half the thread engagement (interrupted threads). This is probably why the thread length is so long. When I looked it up I was surprised to see tapered threads - I expected ACME style.

Not saying the rifle design in question is good, or bad. Just saying that threading a "breech" isn't necessarily terrible.
Never said that myself. In fact, I pointed out that as an artilleryman in M109s I have at least a little first hand experience with interrupted thread breeches. What I said was examine the two, a 155mm breech block and the rifle in question and tell me which one you'd be more comfortable standing behind pulling the trigger or lanyard.

I always wondered how storage and breakdown of stick powder would affect performance.

If in fact it was a factory load could this have been a factor?

In my humble opinion, he came across a reloaded pulled projectile lot of ammunition, not factory...

Never said that myself. In fact, I pointed out that as an artilleryman in M109s I have at least a little first hand experience with interrupted thread breeches. What I said was examine the two, a 155mm breech block and the rifle in question and tell me which one you'd be more comfortable standing behind pulling the trigger or lanyard.
I would probably feel about the same behind either.

In the case of the rifle, I know of one that blew up. In the case of 16" battleship guns, I know of one that blew up (USS Iowa).

The likelihood of me being behind either is about the same - the Iowa's have been retired, and I'm unlikely to spend $1,500 on a single shot that also costs so much to shoot.

Are you all saying this stuff no-good ?
I have had no problem with it but I do pull the brake befor I drop the HAMMER !.............

I for one did not say that SLAP ammo in general is not good. What I did say was that the ammo that the guy in the video shot was no good. He should have stopped shooting it when he experienced the pressure differences from round to round. I knew it would be a crapfest when I saw it was from Kentucky.

He should have stopped shooting it when he experienced the pressure differences from round to round. I knew it would be a crapfest when I saw it was from Kentucky.

Have to agree. Doesn’t matter the quality of the gun. Buddy’s $5k custom, defiance deviant showed pressure signs and we changed the ammo from hand loads to Hornady factory ammo. That’s gun safety 101.

He even commented on the noticeable differences in recoil, noise, and point of impact between the rounds.
Again, an idjit. My Serbu is a laser; any one of these parameters out of tolerance and I'm stopping in place. Not going to go down the SLAP round discussion, but I'll just say they won't see my .50.

Back
Top Bottom