• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Serbu 50 Cal Exploded

So, your position is that if a join doesn't fail on the first stressor it will hold forever? That's what you seem to imply earlier.

yes and no, kinda a loaded question....Technically speaking as long as your stressor doesnt exceed the plastic limit yes it will return to its pre-deformed shape, but if forces exceed that then you get permanent deformation that eventually leads to total failure because the materials properties have been altered by the forces...there is also stress that come from long term repeated stress yes, but abrupt failure like seen was not cause by deformation as he was still able to utilize the threading as well as close the action. There is evidince both from KY ballistics and the video that showed abnormal firing as well as larger forces (brighter flash), more felt recoil that back it up. a bad design/bad materials would fail first go not hold up to repeated "abuse" and then finally fail...if you misuse something and it fails is it the items fault or yours for going past its design parameter....

I’m neutral in this matter. This is from the engineer/owner/designer. I got it, it’s his baby and no one likes it when your baby is called ugly.

Thanks. Been looking for the analysis video. Mark Serbu seems like a decent and conscientious man. I'm sure he was hurt (not physically) by the kaboom.

I've seen poor designs (where the bolt handle had to be worked with a mallet) and I've seen(owned) good designs (Barrett).
I've shot the Barrett .50 BMG that you had owned. Very nice, quality gun.
But, I agree the power level & pressure contained in that gun demand respect.

I fired it offhand and the muzzle blast lifted a couple of unfired .50 cartridges off a nearby table,
B383BEDE-6DE8-4EEB-B9E5-D08FFF0C1A98.jpeg
bouncing them up in the air!

There is a study by the army about using such rounds and the data was such it they state:

*sabototed rounds should never be fired through a muzzle brake*

My theory is a momentary blockage at the muzzle.
An obstruction in any firearm at both ends equals a bomb even if it is just for a split second.

I have personally seen guns with a small amount of water in the bore blow up.

Not as bad as the afore mentioned .50 caliber did but it was on a smaller scale.

I believe the .50 would have been fine if it had been shooting the standard rounds it was designed for.

I thought this was a new incident. Carry on..

Holy cow what a crazy accident. He's lucky to still be here. Can anyone shed light on what are these "Slap rounds"? In the video he says he got an extra hot slap round that generated > 85,000 psi, which is what blew up the rifle.

Trust your life to a threaded end cap? Thanks, no. Look at at that rifle. Would you buy or shoot one if it used a threaded cap to contain that pressure? I've shot/owned 50 BMGs. No way in Hell.
1634604385135.png

A few guys on Iowa class battleships trusted their lives to threaded plugs, a.k.a. the Welin breech block.

A plug, not a cap, but only half the thread engagement (interrupted threads). This is probably why the thread length is so long. When I looked it up I was surprised to see tapered threads - I expected ACME style.

Not saying the rifle design in question is good, or bad. Just saying that threading a "breech" isn't necessarily terrible.

Back
Top Bottom