• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My review of Seiki brand HDTVs

hoochfisher

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
21   1
Reaction score
Wanted to relay my experience with not one, but two Seiki HDTVs for anyone soon to be purchasing a new tv. And why not to purchase a Seiki brand.

I am one who doesn't mind purchasing an "off" or "lesser" brand product as long as said product works and is of quality relating to its price point.

Which lead me to purchase 65" Seiki HDTV model #se65jy25. It's a 65" 1080p, 240hz LED tv in February from Tiger Direct in jefferson, GA. It had a great picture and offered a much bigger screen than any other brand at its price point of $999. I brought it home, opened the box and immediately wall mounted it. Placing its heavy and rather nice glass pedistool mount base into the attic without paying any other attention to its details.

Fast forward to the last week of September. After months of use without any problems, I am moving. I then remove it from its wall mount and begin to install the nice glass base mount. It's is at this time I discover on the bottom of the glass base, there is a thin metal plate glued in place as backing and reinforcing for the mounting screws. Only the metal plate on the bottom of my glass base is glued in place at an angle which blocks the screw holes by almost 90%. A small but very problematic manufactuer defect.

I purchased tiger directs "square trade" extended warranty along with this tv. after a quick phone call I was told to bring it in and it would be replaced.

Being as tiger direct no longer carries the Seiki model I originally purchased, and that TD told me Seiki no longer makes it, TD replaced my tv with seiki's new version of the model I returned. Which happened to be a tv with the newest tv technology, 4K ultra HD. The Seiki model #se65uy04. The in-store display of this model connected to a 1080p bluray movie had every bit of, if not better, of a picture than the one I was returning. And since It carries the same price of $999, there was no extra cost for me for having the newest tv tech so I gladly accepted it.

I brought it home and opened the box to find it has the exact same pedistool mount base as the model I returned. But I was happy to see that this one's metal backing plate was properly in place. I mounted the base and hooked everything up. Right out of the box, it's picture was fairly impressive. But after calibrating its picture was excellent. But problems were soon to ensue.

During the 2 1/2 weeks I had this tv I noticed while watching some fast moving scenes that the picture would begin to violently shake side to side as if the screen was "confused" or "lagging" for 1 or 2 seconds while watching with my Directv signal. Being as I only experienced this while watching directv, I assumed it was simply the directv signal lagging. I hadn't experienced this with any other device or input.

But 4 days ago, I experienced the same problem again. Only this time, it was while playing an xbox game. I turn the xbox off and left the tv on. I begin to check all connections and be sure they were not loose. They were not. This told me this was a problem within the tv itself. Another manufacturer defect. This one much bigger than the first.

Now also, while checking connections with the tv on and me being that up close to the screen while the tv was on and blank for the first time, I also discovered the tv had dead pixel. I hadn't seen it up to this point. I will ad that the pixels on a 4K tv are much smaller and a dead one is much harder to spot at distance than a 1080p tv.

Back to tiger direct I go.

After my experience with these two Seiki TVs, I will never have another Seiki product. There is an obvious lack of quality control within the Seiki product company. As for the picture shake and dead pixel, at this time I'm not sure wether to contribute it to poor quality parts, beginning problems and bugs with the new 4K ultra HD technology, or the lack of quality control. Maybe it's all three? I'm not sure. But I'm sure I will not have another Seiki and hopefully this lengthy review of them will stop someone here from having the same headaches with them I had.

Tiger direct was again very eager to correct the issue. And completely understanding at my refusal to take another Seiki tv home for the third time. Just how they corrected the problem can be found here:

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/774763-Thumbs-up-for-tiger-direct

It will also include a link to the amazing tv the Seiki was replaced with.

Kudos to TD for handling it well.

I learned years ago to stay away from the off-brand electronics. I just never had any luck with them.

Plus they are manufactured with child labor and support commie regimes.

;)

Kudos to TD for handling it well.

I learned years ago to stay away from the off-brand electronics. I just never had any luck with them.

Plus they are manufactured with child labor and support commie regimes.

;)

I never had any issue with off brand anything until these. But I'll definitely think twice before considering another off brand electronic now.

Hooch,

How did you like the Vizio sound bar? Did it have a seperate sub?

I live the vizio sound bar I have. I got it from tiger direct as a refurbished item(one of many refurbed items I've got from them) for right under $50. Never had a single issue out of it. It sounds great. And is a much cleaner, less cluttered look than the old surround system I did away with.

It has two inputs and a sub output. I don't have the sub though, the bar itself has enough bass for me. I used it more sound projection over the noise my son makes. Bu use it often for music while cleaning, etc.

I'm not sure if I'm even going to hook it to this new sony tv though. This thing sounds great and is plenty loud and projective. I might just hook it up to the bedroom tv.

But don't be afraid of buying any refurbished items from tiger direct. I've bought plenty of them and never had one issue out of them. And after the problems out of the seiki's and them going above and beyond to make it right, I wouldn't worry if I did.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom