• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Prepping Conundrum

I truly don't understand the gold/silver thing. Maybe for a few weeks if people lose faith in currency or in a short term disaster with a foreseeable end an opportunist with good stockpiles might trade for it to make a quick buck, but it has no usefulness outside of it's perceived value. In a true EOTW situation I wouldn't trade a can of lima beans or a round of ammo for a pound of gold.

you are thinking small scale. fuel for a r22 will cost a S load of your canned chicken. People with enough money to survive.. i mean the people that are like super loaded will have safe places to go. Also, once all the middle class and low class kill off each other the upper class will come out of hiding, re build and still trade on gold and silver.

The bold you want to forget about is the most important part. If they do not want to prep, none of what you want to do or plan is going to matter because they are not going to listen.

You are talking about having your sister buy and store 5 gallon gas cans to drive across country. Where does she live in LA? If it is in an apartment, then she will be not allowed to store gas. If it is a house, is she going to treat and rotate the gas constantly for the major SHTF event that may never come? There are a ton of things to think about here beyond just the gas.

Also I can tell you with 100% certainty as someone who has spent a lot of time in LA, in the event of a major SHTF event, there is no way in hell she is even getting out of LA, let alone across country.

I must agree with all of the above. I've never been to LA or out west at all. I HAVE been to NYC on New Year's Eve though. Did NOT like any of that. And I can imagine in an SHTF scenario LA will look a lot like "Escape from New York". My wife is the better prepper at my house and we have this saying that simply goes. "Everybody aint gonna make it." That might sound mean or uncaring but part of prepping is looking out for yourself and those that care enough to put forth at least some type of effort. EVERYONE else is just the sheeple waiting to be victims. I dated a girl from Long Beach in the late 90s. She was really nice but when she told me she was moving back out there I just gave her my old Makarov and told her good luck. Then I wrote her off. Because anyone that willingly moves back to California or stays there gets no sympathy from me.

But I guess the short answer here is that there is no practical or safe way to go after someone that far away. It would be hard enough to get to your folks in Florida under extreme circumstances. So if you can't convince your sister to move somewhere closer/safer then you must write her off.

you are thinking small scale. fuel for a r22 will cost a S load of your canned chicken. People with enough money to survive.. i mean the people that are like super loaded will have safe places to go. Also, once all the middle class and low class kill off each other the upper class will come out of hiding, re build and still trade on gold and silver.

So if you are not really rich and don't have a safe place to stay, aren't guns and ammo a much better investment than a small amount of gold and silver? This way you can survive the fighting.

This is just a lousy scenario bud and I feel for you.

As a pilot and former plane owner. I can tell you that a plane is not even a solution. Planes are all about weight and balance. The more weight you put in the plane the more fuel you leave on the ground. Even alone it would take you 2 stops for gas (3 to be on the safe side) to get to CA. You would have to leave all your provisions behind and flying over the Rocky mountains is no small feat.

And I know I wouldn't leave my parents who were now under my protection to get one of my siblings, and I love them all.

Your family needs to head to you, if you're the one with the supplies. Hopefully your sister in LA will see things differently at some point. You can not save someone that doesn't want to be saved.

I have an adult married son who keeps supplies on hand, he's a couple hours away and says they will head to my place.
My daughter with 2 children who is much closer doesn't even want to thing about things getting bad. The thought of it would just about incapacitate her. It's tough to talk somebody into preparing....

Find some peace. This is a terrible scenario you have here. Hopefully it'll never happen.

If she couldn't come to you her even knowing that you are prepping could end badly. As a matter of fact there is a higher probability of her simply knowing harming you more than the probability of you two connecting at any point without mega money plane flying plans. No one is trying to be a jerk. My obligation lies to MY wife and her first. Leaving her would escalate her exposure to risk for something that is likely not going to happen.

Calculate calculate calculate.

If she couldn't come to you her even knowing that you are prepping could end badly. As a matter of fact there is a higher probability of her simply knowing harming you more than the probability of you two connecting at any point without mega money plane flying plans. No one is trying to be a jerk. My obligation lies to MY wife and her first. Leaving her would escalate her exposure to risk for something that is likely not going to happen.

Calculate calculate calculate.

How would his sister that is 2800 miles away knowing that he is prepping hurt him?

So if you are not really rich and don't have a safe place to stay, aren't guns and ammo a much better investment than a small amount of gold and silver? This way you can survive the fighting.

or get in good with someone that is that rich. I guess the better question would be, do you really want to be alive when the world is like that?

Back
Top Bottom