• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My new to me toy!

I have this coming to add some weight to the rear. Should help when doing work with the FEL. The box weighs 108lbs and will hold up to 800 lbs more.

Looks like it has tubes for long handled tools (shovel, rake, etc.). Very handy! I would use one of those tubes to store 20' of 5/16" grade 70 chain. You may want to bolt or weld some hooks onto the top leading edge of the front bucket. I use my hooks as much as I use my bucket.

I don't think you'll want to fill that ballast box up to capacity. Might be a bit too much for the rear lift. 400 to 500lbs total weight should be plenty to offset a full FEL bucket. I have my subframe mounted backhoe most of the time as my counterbalance, but sometimes I have a 5' box blade (about 450lbs) mounted, and it works fine for a full bucket.

I like that since it also has a receiver hitch. Perfect if you need to move a trailer while it’s on there. Can you send me the link where you are getting it from?
I ordered it from Walmart! Best price I found online and free shipping.
I can’t get the link to work. I googled tractor ballast box and it came up in the ad section at the top of the page. $250.99 plus tax.

Looks like it has tubes for long handled tools (shovel, rake, etc.). Very handy! I would use one of those tubes to store 20' of 5/16" grade 70 chain. You may want to bolt or weld some hooks onto the top leading edge of the front bucket. I use my hooks as much as I use my bucket.

I don't think you'll want to fill that ballast box up to capacity. Might be a bit too much for the rear lift. 400 to 500lbs total weight should be plenty to offset a full FEL bucket. I have my subframe mounted backhoe most of the time as my counterbalance, but sometimes I have a 5' box blade (about 450lbs) mounted, and it works fine for a full bucket.
I have some hooks in hand already for just this purpose. I’m planning on adding about 400 lbs of concrete to start. That should give me about 500lbs total, I will see how that works and if needed will add a bit more. That should also leave enough room to store chains, straps, etc. too.

I have some hooks in hand already for just this purpose. I’m planning on adding about 400 lbs of concrete to start. That should give me about 500lbs total, I will see how that works and if needed will add a bit more. That should also leave enough room to store chains, straps, etc. too.

You going to add the concrete in such a way that you can remove it? I'd recommend cinder blocks, or casting the concrete into blocks and putting the blocks in. Gives you the flexibility to repurpose the box for other tasks.

Also, regarding the little black plastic tool tote mounted on the ROPS, near your right elbow? It's a great little tote, but too small for enough gear, IMHO. I swapped mine out for an orange dry-box. Any kind of ammo can, or plastic equivalent, as long as it has a waterproof lid, works better. I keep a lifting strap, 2lb hammer, screwdrivers, spare linch pins, a couple of adjustable wrenches, a roll of flagging tape, and a couple of short pieces of rebar in the larger box.

I like the FEL level indicator on yours. I had to make one for mine since it’s almost impossible to tell from the seat if it’s level or not. I also just ordered a quick connect for my 3 pt hitch. Too dang aggravating to get stuff hooked up the old way
DAC38E01-CE86-4E8E-B615-D1BCC6011FAA.jpeg

I like the FEL level indicator on yours. I had to make one for mine since it’s almost impossible to tell from the seat if it’s level or not.
View attachment 3093296

Nice mod!

I also just ordered a quick connect for my 3 pt hitch. Too dang aggravating to get stuff hooked up the old way

I have a quick hitch for the 3pt on my Yanmar. I have a love-hate relationship with it. With the implements it works well with (box blade, rotary cutter), it shortens changeover time substantially. For implements that have troublesome dimensions, it winds up being a series of compromises.

To make matters worse, when I added the LS to the stable, I didn't want a second quick hitch, because the LS has a backhoe, and the quick hitch would have to come off to mount the backhoe. With the LS, it has a very easy to release/adjust the lifting arm swing limiter, which makes attaching implements far faster. At this point, I've left a couple of implements set up for the quick hitch, and I use those just with the Yanmar. I may eventually replace the Yanmar with another, older tractor with more weight and horsepower, and if I do that, I'll probably let the quick hitch go with the Yanmar.

If I was going to do it all over again, I'd probably skip the quick hitch.

Back
Top Bottom