• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My instincts tell me I bombed my interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I hate the way employers interview these days. It's more like a personality/check the social boxes test than a discussion to find out what you can bring to the job. I recently did a few of these virtual interviews and not once did they ask about my actual qualifications or knowledge of the position. But when I got the email saying I didn't get the position, they listed my lack of experience for the position as a reason. Like WTF. I was very much qualified on paper, and had they asked me questions related to the job itself they'd have known.

Instead they asked why I wanted to leave my old job, or why do I want to work for them. What's your biggest weakness/strength, how do you work with others, etc. :lol:

As a former Recruiter and HR guy I can tell you these two questions have a purpose -
What’s your biggest area for improvement? How would you handle a disagreement with a peer or boss?

This basically means the last person in the position had issues with the job and didn't improve much and didnt get along well with a peer, co worker, or Manager.

I used to interview at least once per week, for @ 3 years straight. Not that I needed a job- actually had a very good job- just wanted to keep up my skills. Interviewing is a science, and especially hard when 90% of the people interviewing you don't have any interviewer skills. My wife always said she did not give me enough attention and I sought out affirmation from others via interviewing.

My kid recently was interviewed, and prior to it, I HIGHLY recommended the "Interview for Dummies" book. Easy reading and can be done in no more than 2 days. There is even a chapter if you don't have time to read the book and the interview is in the next 12 hours. It covers how to handle salary questions without giving away what you will settle for, and especially how to handle the inexperienced interviewer asking the old school questions like "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "What are your strengths and weaknesses". My kid went from a confidence level of 20% to 95% going into the interview based on what the book taught them.

or why do I want to work for them. :lol:
That was for you to talk about your qualifications and expand on your resume.
I ask the same question. I very seldom go to resume, unless I need to clarify something or I need to ask a technical question.
Look for openings and a chance to sell your experience.

This is very often true - especially with government jobs. Those jobs are sewn up before they're even listed, but due to regulations, rules, etc. they have to be advertised so they can say/claim they 'interviewed openly.'
This is truth.
There was a job I wanted, that I had always wanted.
Did the applications, went through the initial interviews and finally to the hiring director.
Very nice, looked over my stuff and said "You have every qualification we're looking for except for two, you're not black and you're not a woman and I can't hire you."
Thanked him walked out and never again even bothered with anything associated with gov.

Just damn. Had a virtual interview today for a dream job working for the City of Savannah. I studied and prepped for this interview with my focus being departmental policy and procedures which is the heart of this position. Never once did either of the gentleman interviewing me ask the first question pertaining to policy and procedure. If they had, I’d been golden. Instead they asked generic interview questions such as, What’s your biggest area for improvement? How would you handle a disagreement with a peer or boss?
My responses ended up being generic and I rambled on. To make matters worse, the internet connection was crap and several times the audio and/or video would freeze. Once bad enough that I had to end the feed and log back in to rejoin. I’m beating myself up over this and pretty much think I’m no longer a viable candidate.
You never had a chance at getting this "job" as this was an "inside job" from the start. I know how the govt. works. I once called a guy in Ohio and told him to save his plane ticket to interview for a job with the state of Ga. The politicians had already told me who I was hiring and instructed me to conduct interviews to make it look above board. Believe me, nothing is above board with the govt. involved. My personnel manager told me I could not call the guy in Ohio and tell him not to come for the interview......I have more integrity than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom