• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My instincts tell me I bombed my interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicBlue

Default rank <5000 posts
Friends don’t let friends buy cheap guns!
431   0
Reaction score
Just damn. Had a virtual interview today for a dream job working for the City of Savannah. I studied and prepped for this interview with my focus being departmental policy and procedures which is the heart of this position. Never once did either of the gentleman interviewing me ask the first question pertaining to policy and procedure. If they had, I’d been golden. Instead they asked generic interview questions such as, What’s your biggest area for improvement? How would you handle a disagreement with a peer or boss?
My responses ended up being generic and I rambled on. To make matters worse, the internet connection was crap and several times the audio and/or video would freeze. Once bad enough that I had to end the feed and log back in to rejoin. I’m beating myself up over this and pretty much think I’m no longer a viable candidate.

Have you considered they already knew who they were going to hire and interviewing you was a formality? I’m not saying that’s definitely the case but in my experience government hiring is not competitive. Don’t beat yourself up too much.
Funny you say that because that’s exactly what my wife said. She was a Dean at a college and said they had to go through several interviews for available positions even if she already knew who she was going to hire.
Even though it’s stated on my resume, I found it strange they never asked me about my qualifications.

Just damn. Had a virtual interview today for a dream job working for the City of Savannah. I studied and prepped for this interview with my focus being departmental policy and procedures which is the heart of this position. Never once did either of the gentleman interviewing me ask the first question pertaining to policy and procedure. If they had, I’d been golden. Instead they asked generic interview questions such as, What’s your biggest area for improvement? How would you handle a disagreement with a peer or boss?
My responses ended up being generic and I rambled on. To make matters worse, the internet connection was crap and several times the audio and/or video would freeze. Once bad enough that I had to end the feed and log back in to rejoin. I’m beating myself up over this and pretty much think I’m no longer a viable candidate.
I'm gonna send up a prayer for you just because.

Have you considered they already knew who they were going to hire and interviewing you was a formality? I’m not saying that’s definitely the case but in my experience government hiring is not competitive. Don’t beat yourself up too much.
This is very often true - especially with government jobs. Those jobs are sewn up before they're even listed, but due to regulations, rules, etc. they have to be advertised so they can say/claim they 'interviewed openly.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom