My first careless reload

im still wondering how you didnt feel the difference when you shoved a 308 bullets into a 243 neck. i can feel .002 difference in neck tension when seating projectiles in different brass,non annealed, diff neck bushing etc.

dont get me wrong , i def screw up too, i loaded 200 rds for a match one time 100 out of one jug and 100 out of another 8# jug and speed checked right before i left for florida the next day and one lot was 70 fps faster and purdy darn hot load and it def does make a diff at 940 yds!! i had to run two different charts/speeds on an already highspeed long distance run and gun tac match.

im still wondering how you didnt feel the difference when you shoved a 308 bullets into a 243 neck. i can feel .002 difference in neck tension when seating projectiles in different brass,non annealed, diff neck bushing etc.

dont get me wrong , i def screw up too, i loaded 200 rds for a match one time 100 out of one jug and 100 out of another 8# jug and speed checked right before i left for florida the next day and one lot was 70 fps faster and purdy darn hot load and it def does make a diff at 940 yds!! i had to run two different charts/speeds on an already highspeed long distance run and gun tac match.

he didnt, he ran the 243 into either a neck sizer or FL sizer. if he didnt the bullet or case would have buckled during seating. you would also catch the fact your bullet didnt get inside the neck before trying to seat.

he didnt, he ran the 243 into either a neck sizer or FL sizer. if he didnt the bullet or case would have buckled during seating. you would also catch the fact your bullet didnt get inside the neck before trying to seat.

Long story short, I pick up my next "308" round to load and fire and looked at the head stamp and caught my error. Low and behold, a .243 went through the whole reloading process... cleaned, sized (in .308 dies), trimmed, reprimed, loaded with 43.1 grains of varget, topped with a 150 grn nosler partition and factory crimped at 2.800"

you sure about that

whether expander ball then bullet or bullet only passed into that neck, i assure you more force was required than a standard 308 projectile being seated in a standard 308 neck. im with you on the case neck buckle but .....how does a bullet "buckle" in a press? i have seen this phenomenon on impact of steel targets:D

07jkx dont worry about it , accept it,learn from it, put preventative steps in place and move on.your already ahead of 90% of guys who would never admit a mistake. this trait is part of what makes an excellent handloader. recognizing what does not work and moving forward in the right direction and shareing your lesson with others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom