• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My daughter can shoot

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
My daughter is 17YOA now. I started her shooting when she was 9YOA, with a Chipmunk .22.

When she was 10YOA I got her a bolt action 5.56, which she used to run out to 800yds on steel targets at Arena Training Facility......long before it was called that. She dialed all her dope and wind corrections that I called to her. Started at 100yds, and walked it on out.

Later that same day, she ran my 16” AR, topped with an Aimpoint T1 and loaded with M193, out to right at 500yds........489yds, IIRC.

When she was 12YOA, she ran my iron-sighted M1 Garand to 500yds on steel.

She’s been on her varsity high school rifle team for several years now. I’m a Community Coach. They use Walther .177 air rifles at 10m. A match consists of a total of 30rds, shot 10rds each from 3 different positions; prone, kneeling, standing. Front and rear aperture sights, no optics, no support, they use slings.

Top 3 shooters on her team are all girls.

Here’s her prone target from practice a few nights ago. I included a picture showing the size and scoring ring of these little targets.

AB8AAF6B-BF91-42EE-BFCC-225EBFB193DD.jpeg
99ED82AB-6352-4696-AA6E-55D54FF8D619.jpeg

Oustanding! My son was on his air rifle team (such that it was, very informal) when he was in JROTC. He never shot that well! ;)
Doesn't surprise me at all. Of all the people I've ever introduced to shooting, the women/girls are always better shots. When it comes to shooting, they tend to not know everything already I guess, and listen. ;)
Well done dad! :yo:

My daughter is 17YOA now. I started her shooting when she was 9YOA, with a Chipmunk .22.

When she was 10YOA I got her a bolt action 5.56, which she used to run out to 800yds on steel targets at Arena Training Facility......long before it was called that. She dialed all her dope and wind corrections that I called to her. Started at 100yds, and walked it on out.

Later that same day, she ran my 16” AR, topped with an Aimpoint T1 and loaded with M193, out to right at 500yds........489yds, IIRC.

When she was 12YOA, she ran my iron-sighted M1 Garand to 500yds on steel.

She’s been on her varsity high school rifle team for several years now. I’m a Community Coach. They use Walther .177 air rifles at 10m. A match consists of a total of 30rds, shot 10rds each from 3 different positions; prone, kneeling, standing. Front and rear aperture sights, no optics, no support, they use slings.

Here’s her prone target from practice a few nights ago. I included a picture showing the size and scoring ring of these little targets.

View attachment 2890256 View attachment 2890257

Yes, she can Shoot its in her, BLOOD!

Nice target!
I did the same thing for 3 years in high school.
How does her kneeling and standing look?
It's 40 shots standing in college. My best match score was on the single targets at an away match. 364 I think it was. Had to run the target every shot.
Natural point of aim was the most important thing for me.

Congratulations to her and you. Good job, Dad!

FWIW: Even the late, great, Lones ****** would’ve told you that women have an advantage in standing as their center of gravity is in their hips, not their chest, as in a male. (True after puberty)

However, Colonel ****** taught his pupils (and me) a way for men to shoot very well in standing positions. So well that my standing scores equaled my kneeling! So well that the last time I shot a milsurp match the scorers at 300 yards asked the range officer to make sore I wasn’t cheating somehow! High 90s in standing when I do it right.

Back to the subject: please have your daughter spread the message amongst all her classmates and friends. We need all the pro 2nd young ones we can get.

Well done, again, Dad.

Back
Top Bottom