• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My biggest rack buck

karlvv30

Wolf Icon Supporter
Bad at deer hunting
19   0
Reaction score
My honey hole was open on Monday. I was pretty excited to get out there. It was the first time this year. Walked in about 6 and got up in a tree. 11 minutes before legal shooting light I had a doe being chased by a smaller buck come right under my stand. They ran off and the woods was quiet for a while. A few minutes before 9 I saw a big doe about 60 yards in front of me. Couldn't get a shot as she was in some pretty thick brush. 15 minutes later I look to my right and I see antlers. He was angling in towards me and I knew he was going to give me a shot. He was about 25 yards when I pulled the trigger. Hit him high shoulder and he dropped in his tracks. He let out a little grunt and then nothing. DRT. I reloaded the muzzleloader and immediately got down. When I got up to him I realized he was smaller than I thought. I couldn't see his whole body through the brush he was in. He weighed 130 pounds. Quite small for a rack like that. Made it easier to get him out though. I went and had him measured and aged today. 3.5 years old and 134 5/8 gross with a 132 net. Damn near symmetrical. Biggest rack I have on the wall is 125 inch but he was 6.5 years old. I can only imagine what this guy woulda been at that age. This was one of the best hunts I've ever been on. Now it's time to fill the freezer. Thanks for letting me share with y'all.

20211011_091417.jpg

My honey hole was open on Monday. I was pretty excited to get out there. It was the first time this year. Walked in about 6 and got up in a tree. 11 minutes before legal shooting light I had a doe being chased by a smaller buck come right under my stand. They ran off and the woods was quiet for a while. A few minutes before 9 I saw a big doe about 60 yards in front of me. Couldn't get a shot as she was in some pretty thick brush. 15 minutes later I look to my right and I see antlers. He was angling in towards me and I knew he was going to give me a shot. He was about 25 yards when I pulled the trigger. Hit him high shoulder and he dropped in his tracks. He let out a little grunt and then nothing. DRT. I reloaded the muzzleloader and immediately got down. When I got up to him I realized he was smaller than I thought. I couldn't see his whole body through the brush he was in. He weighed 130 pounds. Quite small for a rack like that. Made it easier to get him out though. I went and had him measured and aged today. 3.5 years old and 134 5/8 gross with a 132 net. Damn near symmetrical. Biggest rack I have on the wall is 125 inch but he was 6.5 years old. I can only imagine what this guy woulda been at that age. This was one of the best hunts I've ever been on. Now it's time to fill the freezer. Thanks for letting me share with y'all.

View attachment 3584844
Nice ten point Sir.

Back
Top Bottom