• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Muzzle brake torque without a crush washer

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
230   0
Reaction score
Finally got shipping notification on my suppressor. The qd brake that comes with it does not need to be timed but does need to be torqued. I'm told to never use a crush washer with a suppressor mount, so that leaves what to make the torque? I was thinking a thick timing washer. What does everyone use?

20-30 ft-lbs....25 for me

My question is what it used between the barrel and the muzzle brake to compress to build the torque? Most standard brakes and flash hides use the crush washer. What is used on a suppressor mount that does not need to be timed.

Nothing. Just the mount and rockset. I use Q muzzle breaks and you just put them on and put a whole lot of ass on the wrench.

Finally got shipping notification on my suppressor. The qd brake that comes with it does not need to be timed but does need to be torqued. I'm told to never use a crush washer with a suppressor mount, so that leaves what to make the torque? I was thinking a thick timing washer. What does everyone use?
The crush washer does not make torque.

The pressure on the threads does.

Regardless of if you use anything between the barrel and the muzzle device you will still get the same torque, the crush washer is used for timing. In your case it doesn’t need to be timed so going without it won’t matter.

What you DO need however is rocksett, I’m not sure how your can is attached to the device, but if it is screwed on to it, be sure to use a dab of rocksett or it can get stuck inside the can.

Also make sure before you fire it the first time that you check the alignment with an alignment rod so you don’t get a baffle or endcap strike.

I have all of the above mentioned stuff if you need to make use of it. Just send me a PM

The crush washer is to prevent the muzzle device from getting loose, it’s a lock washer. The timing shims are for timing and all muzzle brakes need to be timed, flash hiders to not.

There’s also no reason you can’t use a crush washer or timing shim on a muzzle device. Now I’d you are direct threading, that’s another story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The crush washer is to prevent the muzzle device from getting loose, it’s a lock washer. The timing shims are for timing and all muzzle brakes need to be timed, flash hiders to not.

There’s also no reason you can’t use a crush washer or timing shim on a muzzle device. Now I’d you are direct threading, that’s another story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s not correct. You do not. I repeat do not use a crush washer when mounting cans. Regardless if it’s some sort of qd muzzle device or not. It will cause misalignment. You technically can’t evenly crush a crush washer. One section will have more pressure and technically be more crushed. Therefore it will be a slightly misaligned. With a flashhider... no big deal. However when you add the length of a can it can definitely cause a baffle strike. Seen it first hand dude. Timing shins are different because they don’t crush. Therefore keeping everything aligned.

crush washers are also used to time muzzle devices while keeping it torqued to the proper amount. Some flashhiders do need to be timed just like a brake. You can use shims to do this as well. But unless you’re using a silencer timing shims aren’t really necessary because of the differences I’ve stated above. And crushwashers aren’t lock washers. They’re crush washers. That’s why they’re called crush washers and not lock washers.

By the way... I miss the days when the companies included a little thing of rocksett with there muzzle devices. It’s been a long time since I bought a qd muzzle device that came with some. I had to buy my own little bottle that will probably last a lifetime... if it doesn’t go bad after so long. I probably need to check on that.

Back
Top Bottom