• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Must haves for a Big Green Egg

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some others have stated, a placesetter is a must. I recommend 2 pizza stones. We cook more calzones than pizzas and the bottoms tend to get done before the tops get browned enough. So when the bottom is done I swap out the unheated stone with the hot stone and it allows the top to continue browning. I have but don't use the rib rack. I have the rig for the beer can chicken, but don't use it either. I usually Spatchcock my chickens. (which is cutting out the backbones and lying them flat. They cook in about half the time this way)

I also buy the disposable type Lasagna pans at Costco or Dollar Tree to use as my drip pans or to add water to on my long cooks to add moisture to the cook.

The only other thing I'd recommend is The BBQ Guru. It's expensive, but worth it if you do long, low and slow cooks as it'll maintain whatever temp you set it to for hours so you don't need to babysit the Egg.

i just got a medium egg a month or two ago. just finishing my table for the egg this week, and considering what to do next. I've got the plate setter, pizza stone (Weber makes a nice one that's just the right size for my medium at home depot), grill gripper thing, and the lighting cubes. Might have to get the torch thing to light it, as getting to temp quicker might mean I use it more often. :)

I made a pizza peel for the pizza stone as well. Not that it costs less than buying one, but it was fun to make myself. I'll get photos of the table and accessories once I get it done. need rib rack and a lighter and I think I'll be set!

forgot to mention the wife got me the new Maverick ET-733 wireless dual thermometer for fathers day. It's not a Guru but at least I can check/set temps without having to open the lid all the time to check temps of the meat. It has two temp probes, one for the meat, one for the grill so you can remotely monitor the temps of both to see if you need to adjust the doors/vent for temp, or when the meat is done.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-ET-733-Wireless-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B00FOCR4UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom