• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Must haves for a Big Green Egg

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you haven't bought your big green egg yet, go or call Mike at mountain crafts in warm springs. Best deal on a big green egg. Must have items. Cast iron grate, plate setter, electric charcoal starter x2, grill gripper, ash rake, either nest and shelves or he makes a really nice cypress table for a great price. This guy has the best prices hands down. I have picked up 9 for other people kind of cheap.

Thanks for the info, talked with them today and we are going with the new XXXL will cook 26 whole chickens at a time... It is the newest BGE addition. What a BIG BOY!!

Once again THANKS AGAIN, great tip...

Had mine for 7 years, I have the plate setter, which I use infrequently, but is useful if you want to smoke anything. The rib rack is okay, unfortunately I don't do a lot of ribs on the egg, I use Alton Browns oven recipe. No need for the Chicken Rack, just put the chicken on the grill. The handiest of all is the electric starter. And my favorite accessory of all MEAT.

Couple of thoughts Check out the Ceramic Griil Store for an adjustable rig in lieu of the platesetter. A Thermapen is a must. I use a propane torch for lighting verus a looflighter or fire starters. An ash tool is good but no real need for the grill lifter gizmo as I use an old set of channel lock pliers. As far as charcoal, try several different brands and find what works. I have had good lock with RO and I despise Cowboy. BGE Charcoal is simply larger pieces of RO. A cast iron grill and skillet are must haves in my book (I cut the handle of the skillet so it would fit and use the channel lock pliers to move it around)

A couple of websites to look into:

The Naked Whiz - Great resource for charcoal research and other ceramic grill research
eggheadforum.com - Great group of folks and lots of help

A key warning here. Read or look for youtube videos on burping the egg. You can thank me later! Welcome to the cult, you will never use a gas grill again.

PS - Consider attending and Eggfest or two. Great community and great ideas. There is one in Hiawasse in a couple of weeks and the grand daddy of them all, Eggtoberfest, will be at Stone Mountain in October. By your tickets for Eggtoberfest early, they will sell out. It is a lot of fun and you get some pretty good SWAG as well. Last year it was a wall mount bottle opener shaped like an egg.

What is so great about the cast iron grill for the egg? What am I missing out on!?!?!? I have a large egg and love it. I have the platesetter, custom nest, rib racks, wireless dome and meat thermometer, and thermapen. I have held off on the pizza stone as well. I may be missing out on that one too. I light my charcoal with a propane torch and the quick starter squares. I typically use a mixture of the BGE natural lump charcoal and the cowboy brand stuff. No complaints with it.

What is so great about the cast iron grill for the egg? What am I missing out on!?!?!? I have a large egg and love it. I have the platesetter, custom nest, rib racks, wireless dome and meat thermometer, and thermapen. I have held off on the pizza stone as well. I may be missing out on that one too. I light my charcoal with a propane torch and the quick starter squares. I typically use a mixture of the BGE natural lump charcoal and the cowboy brand stuff. No complaints with it.

I prefer the cast iron grill because it stays cleaner and thus easier to clean. I also love the big cast iron sear marks on steaks. The only downside is it is not so easy to removve the thing with the normal grate gripper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom