• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Moving.

I didn't think suppressors were notification items, only NFA firearms like SBRs and SBSs
Which firearms are regulated under the NFA?

The following weapons are regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA):

1. A shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
  2. A weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
  3. A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
  4. A weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
  5. Any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e);
  6. A machinegun;
  7. Any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and
  8. A destructive device.
[26 U.S.C. 5845; 27 CFR 479.11]

ATF has been ordered by Congress to keep an accurate record of NFA registered firearms. This information should include where they're presently located and their physical description --to include caliber, barrel length, and overall length.
If any of these things change (permanently), ATF wants to be notified.

I have done this with just a simple letter, less than 50 words long, telling them that I changed my address and took all my NFA toys with me to my new house in the same state.
Do you have a template?

Read the last page of the form 4. Specifically the section regarding interstate movement. It states:

Interstate Movement: If the firearm identified in item 4 is a machinegun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or destructive device, the registrant may be required by 18
U.S.C. § 922(a)(4) to obtain permission from ATF prior to any transportation in interstate or foreign commerce. ATF Form 5320. 20 can be used to request this permission.

Also on the last page is the following regarding a change of address:

Change of Address: Unless currently licensed under the Gun Control Act, the registrant shall notify the NFA Division, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and
Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the address in item 2a.

So there is temporarily moving the device interstate, and any change of address. Both require the ATF to be notified with the exception of suppressors on the prior, but ANY NFA device on the latter.

Back
Top Bottom