• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Moving.

Tylerls1

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
228   0
Reaction score
So I’m moving to a different address one county over, I have one suppressor, do I need to notify anyone concerning it?

Per the ATF:

I have a NFA firearm and I’m moving. What do I do?
Español
A registered possessor of an NFA firearm, other than a federal firearms licensee/special occupational taxpayer (FFL/SOT), may not lawfully transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle without prior written approval of ATF, specifically the NFA Branch.

Approval for the transportation may be obtained by either a written request, or an approved application filed with ATF on Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms. Please note that applications to transport NFA firearms will be approved only if consistent with all state and local laws.

Interstate means between state. So as long as you stay in state you don't have to notify them.

Per the ATF:

I have a NFA firearm and I’m moving. What do I do?
Español
A registered possessor of an NFA firearm, other than a federal firearms licensee/special occupational taxpayer (FFL/SOT), may not lawfully transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled shotgun or short-barreled rifle without prior written approval of ATF, specifically the NFA Branch.

Approval for the transportation may be obtained by either a written request, or an approved application filed with ATF on Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms. Please note that applications to transport NFA firearms will be approved only if consistent with all state and local laws.

Interstate means between state. So as long as you stay in state you don't have to notify them.
Cool thanks, wasn’t sure.

ATF has been ordered by Congress to keep an accurate record of NFA registered firearms. This information should include where they're presently located and their physical description --to include caliber, barrel length, and overall length.
If any of these things change (permanently), ATF wants to be notified.

I have done this with just a simple letter, less than 50 words long, telling them that I changed my address and took all my NFA toys with me to my new house in the same state.

Notice on BATF's Form 4, in the instructions section it saw we have duty to notify the ATF when we move. On page 3 of ATF Form 4 the instructions say:

Change of address:
Unless currently licensed under the Gun Control Act, the registrant shall notify the NFA Branch, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the address in item 2a.”

The interstate travel form can be used to update the address you just put “permanent” in the duration section and they’ll send it back to you approved and that serves as a record copy

Back
Top Bottom