• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mountain Stream/Creek trout fishing setup

I've had the opposite experience. I've caught close to or over 1000 trout on trout magnets and only about 15-20 of those have come from fishing it under a float.

And no, that number isnt a typo or an exaggeration. However, 99% of those fish were from mountain streams. I have had very little luck using them on the Chattahoochee the few times I've tried.

I usually fish them with quick, short twitches on a steady retrieve. Sometimes drift them with an occasional bounce if the twitching retrieve isnt working.

I rarely use anything else when fishing in the mountains anymore. They also almost always hook the fish near the front of the mouth, which makes catch and release a lot easier and safer for the fish.
Good to know! Any particular colors?

Use a float with a streamer. Let the current take the bait downstream. A trout's normal feeding habit is feeding on food coming down stream. I have seen them hit on a full retrieve but not often. Use a heavy float to take line as you pull it off.
I also use a four foot rod with a micro spinning reel and use Joe's flys. Biggest rainbow I seen taken was that way. Pulling it across a 6 foot diameter pool in a rocky part of Fighting Town creek.

Good to know! Any particular colors?

I've had the most luck on gold, black/gold, chartreuse/white, and pink. Never can tell which color will be best which day, and some days I'll end up switching colors pretty frequently. I usually start with gold most days and change based on what reactions I'm getting.

I've had the opposite experience. I've caught close to or over 1000 trout on trout magnets and only about 15-20 of those have come from fishing it under a float.

And no, that number isnt a typo or an exaggeration. However, 99% of those fish were from mountain streams. I have had very little luck using them on the Chattahoochee the few times I've tried.

I usually fish them with quick, short twitches on a steady retrieve. Sometimes drift them with an occasional bounce if the twitching retrieve isnt working.

I rarely use anything else when fishing in the mountains anymore. They also almost always hook the fish near the front of the mouth, which makes catch and release a lot easier and safer for the fish.

what colors do you use most? why not try them more often on the hooch?
what lb test are you using? ive tried these things 100X and not even a bite.

what colors do you use most? why not try them more often on the hooch?
what lb test are you using? ive tried these things 100X and not even a bite.

I probably use gold or pink the most, but chartreuse/white would be pretty close as well. I've caught trout on probably 15 or more different colors, but I use those 3 more than anything else by a wide margin.

I dont fish the hooch very often for several reasons, due to not owning any type of boat and only having one pair of waders that are uninsulated and also have a pinhole in them somewhere. I'm also not a big fan of having to pay for parking and keep up with water releases from the dam. Even when the water is low, I have no real good idea of where to go. Even at the lowest flow rates on the hooch, I typically need a decent size splitshot on the line to get a trout magnet down far enough in the water column.

I typically fish them on 4lb-6lb mono, but I have been considering trying fluorocarbon to see if that does any better.

If you've only tried them on the hooch, I'm not entirely surprised by your lack of success with them. I've fished that river about 15 or so times and I've caught less than 8 fish total, including using other baits. Which I suppose is yet another reason I dont really try the hooch anymore.

I probably use gold or pink the most, but chartreuse/white would be pretty close as well. I've caught trout on probably 15 or more different colors, but I use those 3 more than anything else by a wide margin.

I dont fish the hooch very often for several reasons, due to not owning any type of boat and only having one pair of waders that are uninsulated and also have a pinhole in them somewhere. I'm also not a big fan of having to pay for parking and keep up with water releases from the dam. Even when the water is low, I have no real good idea of where to go. Even at the lowest flow rates on the hooch, I typically need a decent size splitshot on the line to get a trout magnet down far enough in the water column.

I typically fish them on 4lb-6lb mono, but I have been considering trying fluorocarbon to see if that does any better.

If you've only tried them on the hooch, I'm not entirely surprised by your lack of success with them. I've fished that river about 15 or so times and I've caught less than 8 fish total, including using other baits. Which I suppose is yet another reason I dont really try the hooch anymore.

pm me. where are you fishing the hooch at?

Following...interesting info, Love trout fishin' but haven't been couple years now and miss it terribly. Simple microspinner here with chartreuse or rainbow power bait, or red powerbait lil worms. Use 1 or 2 splitshot just depending on conditions. Have caught Many over the years

Back
Top Bottom