• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mountain Stream/Creek trout fishing setup

Line is a personal preference but I'd like to explain my choice of stren yellow. This used to be am easily found line, but now it's either special order or occasionally found at bass pro. My dad used this line in the mid 70s. I took to it because when you're fishing with bait, it's easy to follow as the bait travels down stream with the current so you're always in the right spot for setting the hook. It also helps you to avoid some tangles since you can see right were the line is in the water. Trout have never seemed to notice it, not even brookies.

I've never used a leader other than the 8" of clear line tied to eagle claw hooks.

This thread makes me want to go fishing.
Another version of this approach is with braided line. You can get several different brightly colored lines and just tie a short leader to it.

I tried spider wire but didn't like the stringy aspect of it. I still have most of it so may give it another try.

I'm glad to see how many guy use spinners.

The biggest trout that I've caught was snagged on a rainbow minnow Rapala. She was right around 20" and very fat and pregnant. This was at the bridge over the Soque east of Helen. She fought like a big bass.

I tried spider wire but didn't like the stringy aspect of it. I still have most of it so may give it another try.

I'm glad to see how many guy use spinners.

The biggest trout that I've caught was snagged on a rainbow minnow Rapala. She was right around 20" and very fat and pregnant. This was at the bridge over the Soque east of Helen. She fought like a big bass.
I've never actually used the Spider Wire, so can't comment on it. The Power Pro braid is what I always use now and love it for everything from my trout rods all the way up to 80lb on a Tarpon rod.

I prefer the panther martins, they spin a lot easier so you can reel it slower and keep it in front of the fish for a longer period. The yellow one's with the red spot have done the best for me.

yep, when i discovered panthers finally, i put all my roosters in my salt kit.
havent bought another one since and NEVER will. a midge fart will stop those blades from turning.

I appreciate all the info everyone’s contributed. My toddler has started watching a YouTube channel called “The Outdoor Boys” and it has really peaked our interest in “adventure fishing”. The family and I recently relocated to prime trout country and I think I’d be foolish not to pick up the hobby for both him and I. Most of my fishing has been minimal, from a dock or lake boat, so this is all a bit new. I’m going to pick up some gear for his birthday this month and see what we can make happen.

Keep the knowledge coming.

Thanks,
Hayduke

https://troutmagnet.com/

Try these…it’s about all I fish with…great advice also..I even use one of there rods and a shimano reel
Well, I kind of feel like a dumbass. I've tried these before, but did not know they were designed to be fished under a float and was unimpressed. Going to give them another try. Thanks!

Well, I kind of feel like a dumbass. I've tried these before, but did not know they were designed to be fished under a float and was unimpressed. Going to give them another try. Thanks!

I've had the opposite experience. I've caught close to or over 1000 trout on trout magnets and only about 15-20 of those have come from fishing it under a float.

And no, that number isnt a typo or an exaggeration. However, 99% of those fish were from mountain streams. I have had very little luck using them on the Chattahoochee the few times I've tried.

I usually fish them with quick, short twitches on a steady retrieve. Sometimes drift them with an occasional bounce if the twitching retrieve isnt working.

I rarely use anything else when fishing in the mountains anymore. They also almost always hook the fish near the front of the mouth, which makes catch and release a lot easier and safer for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom