• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mountain Stream/Creek trout fishing setup

• IMO, I love a 5.5 to 6 foot ugly stick with a mini reel, 6# strength yellow line and #6 hooks. Been using that set up for 30 years and have a get different rods like that. A Pflueger, zebco or Diana minicaster reel have all served me good. A few varieties of meps spinners, rooster tails, corn yellow power bait and night crawlers will all work.

I like a 7 to 8 foot fast action ultralight spinning rod. Many will say that's too long for tight mountain streams, but I find I can cast around obstructions and get more into the cast with just a flick of the wrist with a long rod.

Any good quality ultralight or light open face spinning reel will do the job. You don't have to spend a fortune, but avoid the Walmart specials. I load mine with 5lb braided line and use a FG (Fine Grip) knot to attach a 4lb fluorocarbon leader to it. This knot will cast through the eyelets with no damage to it or the eyelets. It really is easy to tie once you get the knack of it.

Inline spinners, especially Mepps, and small spoons are my go to lures for trout and I do pretty good with them. I'm not a fan of Rooster Tails. They don't spin well for me.

I like the shorter rods due to the hiking and sometimes bushwacking nature of getting into a trout hole, but above poster is right about having a longer rod can have its advantages once you are down in the hole. That said, I keep mine in the 5' to 5'6" range. Also don't be afraid to use Wal-Mart specials, especially at the entry level. Go to a Walmart that's up north, the metro walmarts don't carry the decent trout stuff. The Clayton (city, not county) Walmart, as an example, does.

#4 trilene XL mono on a tiny spinning reel on a 5 to 6 foot ultralight rod, and load up on panther martin spinners (smaller is better) and #6 hooks for bait fishing, get some #8 hooks in your box for bluegill fishing with the same setup.

Regarding bait, the regulations vary a lot from stream to stream, so it's hard to give a blanket answer to that one. Pick out a couple places you want to fish, and figure out time of year (regs can vary depending on season), and we can give you more info on what to use for bait/lure.

May I also recommend a book called "Trout Fishing North Georgia" by Jimmy Jacobs.

I like a 7 to 8 foot fast action ultralight spinning rod. Many will say that's too long for tight mountain streams, but I find I can cast around obstructions and get more into the cast with just a flick of the wrist with a long rod.

Any good quality ultralight or light open face spinning reel will do the job. You don't have to spend a fortune, but avoid the Walmart specials. I load mine with 5lb braided line and use a FG (Fine Grip) knot to attach a 4lb fluorocarbon leader to it. This knot will cast through the eyelets with no damage to it or the eyelets. It really is easy to tie once you get the knack of it.

Inline spinners, especially Mepps, and small spoons are my go to lures for trout and I do pretty good with them. I'm not a fan of Rooster Tails. They don't spin well for me.

rooster tails suck

I've always, like for the last 40 years, had good luck with them. It just takes a quick snap of the wrist to get them spinning and keep them moving. It's just another tool in the tool box.

A white, chartreuse, and rainbow one is enough.

All above is good advice. Like everything take more than you need, have different varieties of lures, rods,etc. I also use a tenkara rod - google it. It’s a form of fly fishing without a reel. The rods collapse from 10’ to about 16”. Makes hiking in real easy. Perfect setup for flies and corn/salmon eggs.

I use a 6 ft. 2 piece ultralight St. Croix spinning rod with a Shimano Symetre 500FJ spinning reel, 4 lb. clear blue fluorescent Stren monofilament line, size 18 Eagle Claw treble hooks, Eagle Claw tin removable split shot size 3/0 (one or two depending on water level,) Palomar knot, and nightcrawlers for bait. I have caught hundreds of trout with this combination.

Line is a personal preference but I'd like to explain my choice of stren yellow. This used to be am easily found line, but now it's either special order or occasionally found at bass pro. My dad used this line in the mid 70s. I took to it because when you're fishing with bait, it's easy to follow as the bait travels down stream with the current so you're always in the right spot for setting the hook. It also helps you to avoid some tangles since you can see right were the line is in the water. Trout have never seemed to notice it, not even brookies.

I've never used a leader other than the 8" of clear line tied to eagle claw hooks.

This thread makes me want to go fishing.

Back
Top Bottom