• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most you've ever spent or would spend on a knife?

I carry a knife to skin wires and apples...occasionally to open a box. I don't need it to perform any greater task than that. On the same note though...I carry a Dan Wesson C Bob fairly regularly. It is full of factory installed match grade Ed Brown parts. It is as tight and of as high a quality build as any Nighthawk. It retailed new for 1600 which is still fairly expensive for a 1911. Yet people still pay over twice that for a Nighthawk. I don't get that. After 1000 bucks I actually start questioning heavily what the extra money is going into on any 1911 build.

My point exactly. Following the logic you use for knives you should be happy carrying a Glock. Do you need the Dan Wesson to perform any greater task than the glock could? Could the Dan Wesson kill anyone any more dead than the Glock?

Why the willingness to pay $1600 for a gun but not over $60 for a knife?

On the same note though...I carry a Dan Wesson C Bob fairly regularly. It is full of factory installed match grade Ed Brown parts. It is as tight and of as high a quality build as any Nighthawk. It retailed new for 1600 which is still fairly expensive for a 1911. Yet people still pay over twice that for a Nighthawk. I don't get that. After 1000 bucks I actually start questioning heavily what the extra money is going into on any 1911 build.

I agree that the Dan Wesson 1911s are a step above most others in their price range, but they're still production line pistols. The extra $$$ you spend on a true semi custom gets you hand fitting, more attention to detail, and generally a tighter, higher quality build. Some gun enthusiasts are willing to pay more $$$ for semi custom 1911s for the same reason some car enthusiasts pay big bucks for exotic or high end cars. They want it, they can afford it, so they buy it.

A single stack .45 is slimmer and conceals better than a Glock. Sometimes I do carry a Glock 23 though. Sometimes I carry a Sig MK25. I enjoy shooting and collecting fine firearms. I enjoy my case knife collection. I am satisfied with the performance of every knife I have. I don't spend more on knives because I don't have to. I am in no way doing without with what I have. I also don't spend 100 + bucks on sneakers. My bargain shoe store last year model 45 dollar Nikes serve my walking needs just fine. If I were a basketball star, perhaps I'd feel the need to spend more on footwear. In the end, we spend more on things we are passionate about. I'm passionate about firearms, not knives or sneakers.

I agree that the Dan Wesson 1911s are a step above most others in their price range, but they're still production line pistols. The extra $$$ you spend on a true semi custom gets you hand fitting, more attention to detail, and generally a tighter, higher quality build. Some gun enthusiasts are willing to pay more $$$ for semi custom 1911s for the same reason some car enthusiasts pay big bucks for exotic or high end cars. They want it, they can afford it, so they buy it.

You apparently have never picked up a CBob...get back to me on the fit, finish and attention to detail once you have.

You apparently have never picked up a CBob...get back to me on the fit, finish and attention to detail once you have.

I've owned one. Like I said, its a nice pistol and definitely a step above others in its price range. Still isn't a hand fitted semi custom, so naturally it doesn't get the attention to detail as something like a Nighthawk, Wilson, Baer or Brown. You may have a good one thats just as tight as any semi custom.. But since they're production line guns not all of them will be built to the same specs.

Have you ever owned or at least fired a Nighthawk?

Last edited:
I think I spent 100-120 on some benchmade before. Really nice folder, but that us my limit on a knife. There is not enough difference in quality from a $100 knife to a $400 knife to warrant the extra expense. Your just paying for craftsmanship and labor hours. Knives are cool and all but I just can't get into them like I can guns. Knifes are tools, guns are machines.

The most I've spent on a knife was a little over $400 (if memory serves) on a Benchmade Infidel. I've bought several others for between $100 and $200.

About $230 into an Ultratech... and that's closely rivaled by the cost of a Benchmade fixed blade knife I've got. Otherwise, I usually go for ESSE's in the sub $150 price range, Kershaw Thermite or Leek for a pocket folder, and I still really like Mora Kniv for the value in a very good knife.

And I do carry and use the Ultratech quite often... I probably wouldn't buy another, but I always wanted a double action OTF knife. Finally got it. Then lost it for like a year and a half, then found it again :)

Back
Top Bottom