• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most cost effective way to purchase precious metals?

It might not be the most popular recommendation but gold and silver are plentiful on eBay. I've had pretty good results their in the past when buying basic graded silver eagles from individual sellers with solid feedback. Guess it just depends if you have enough patience searching the daily auctions that pop up on there?

**Edit - Also, coin shows can be a great source if you like looking at coins and such in person.

Your timing is poor. I buy mainly from a local seller. I have been buying since it was $7 an ounce. Enjoy dollar cost averaging. The current high premiums are driven by Reddit and the same group than ran up GME stock it will stabilize if you are patient.

Your timing is poor. I buy mainly from a local seller. I have been buying since it was $7 an ounce. Enjoy dollar cost averaging. The current high premiums are driven by Reddit and the same group than ran up GME stock it will stabilize if you are patient.
What's the realistic cost and premium? As stated in the OP, I've never been in this market.

I get that. I meant, if you want to gamble on the APPRECIATION aspect of pm's alone (forget the physical risk), then are those funds better or worse than physical and why?
Personally, I would try to discern what JP Morgan is doing and emulate that. Otherwise, the ETFs that are backed by audited physical (i.e. Sprott) and not mere paper, would be worth a look.

The friction with the transactions is high. But... a lot of states don't charge sales tax on coins, so... consider buying American gold or silver coins. Will save you on the purchase side. Also, if you ever do need to barter, Chinese Pandas, Maple Leafs, Krugerands, etc. etc., and especially silver rounds-- much less likely to be accepted.

Ran into a guy one time that was buying silver "shot"-- little silver spheres. Easily divisible says he. No one will take them, says I.

so I say US silver or gold coins, only.

Apmex or someone is probably your cheapest bet. Can't use cash though. On the other hand, you'll have a receipt for tax purposes if you ever sell...

Back
Top Bottom