• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Most cost effective way to purchase precious metals?

Defuzilier

Default rank <750 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
30   0
Reaction score
I'm looking to open a position in gold/silver. What is the most cost effective way to purchase physical metals? Paying a 20% premium on a 1oz silver bar seems counter productive.

Edit: I've never bought or sold metals before.

I'm looking to open a position in gold/silver. What is the most cost effective way to purchase physical metals? Paying a 20% premium on a 1oz silver bar seems counter productive.

Edit: I've never bought or sold metals before.

Where is this 20% premium ? right now my local dealer is still at about $1.50-4 depending on what item you are buying. so about 10% you also understand it is a long term hold item and not something you will get rich flipping in a week. Coinflation will give you coin values in real time. Apmex and JM Bullion and about 6-7 others are name brand online places to buy from.

No clue. I don't buy it, but perhaps someone in the know can explain why these are, or are not, a good alternative. https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/090215/top-5-precious-metals-mutual-funds.asp
If you don't hold it, you don't own it.

Regarding purchasing physical, if you want it as a long term hedge, employ dollar cost averaging and just purchase from coin shops or bullion dealers what you want to allocate to your portfolio on an ongoing basis. Trying to "time" the market is a fool's errand.

Presently, premiums are absurd. But, if you wanna play, you gotta pay.

If you don't hold it, you don't own it.

Regarding purchasing physical, if you want it as a long term hedge, employ dollar cost averaging and just purchase from coin shops or bullion dealers what you want to allocate to your portfolio on an ongoing basis. Trying to "time" the market is a fools errand.

Presently, premiums are absurd. But, if you wanna play, you gotta pay.
I get that. I meant, if you want to gamble on the APPRECIATION aspect of pm's alone (forget the physical risk), then are those funds better or worse than physical and why?

Where is this 20% premium ? right now my local dealer is still at about $1.50-4 depending on what item you are buying. so about 10% you also understand it is a long term hold item and not something you will get rich flipping in a week. Coinflation will give you coin values in real time. Apmex and JM Bullion and about 6-7 others are name brand online places to buy from.
I was looking at JM. The cheapest I could find was silver rounds for 33/oz. I'm no mathmagician, but that's approximately 20% increase over $27 if I calculated correctly.
I can't do short term. I get too emotionally invested in it.

Back
Top Bottom