Mossberg 500C will not fire

I'll check that out. Just got this from my Dad. He picked it up at an auction for $20

- - - Updated - - -

I'll check that out. Just got this from my Dad. He picked it up at an auction for $20

Welcome to the trader sir. These shotguns are pretty reliable and robust but if used a lot under field conditions they can have issues. First did you get the gun used and it never fired or did you have it and it was firing to a certain point or after being stored it no longer fired?

If it's a field gun and has seen some service dust, debris and old oil make a mix of cack that can gum up the works. Break the shotgun down to where you have the firing pin out of the bolt. Use a degreaser and do a good G.I. cleaning of the bolt, firing pin, firing pin channel (in the bolt) springs, rails etc. If a something is amiss you may very well pick it up during this detailed stripping.

You don't need to pull the dual extractors but clean them as well and use a pick to get the crevices with a degreaser. Button everything back up and it still fails to fire and you didn't find anything amiss then a gunsmith should be able to help you.

Thanks. I'll try all of that. It's very well used. The butt stock has been modified several times and isn't an original finish. It's obviously been disassembled before. This is my first attempt at refurbing a shotgun. My talents lie in mostly the blackpowder arena.

Thanks. I'll try all of that. It's very well used. The butt stock has been modified several times and isn't an original finish. It's obviously been disassembled before. This is my first attempt at refurbing a shotgun. My talents lie in mostly the blackpowder arena.

Get a decent schematic and you can YouTube disassembly of Mossberg 500 and that should get you on point.

Back
Top Bottom