• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mossberg 500A issue

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm the only one to have issue with a Mossberg 500A.

This is the Deal! The gun accepts 2-3/4 inch-3" shells. I have never saw the need to fire 3" 12 gauge shells through my gun. It kicks a bit-ok a butt load with 2-3/4 high brass. It will put a bruise on your shoulder even though it has a decent rubber recoil pad when shooting high brass.

The issue has/had been when shooting slugs; I would pump the gun and rarely on occasion clink-empty chamber, even though the tube was charged. It occurred occasionally but irritated me to no end. I think due to recoil my finger bumped the push lever to the rear left of the trigger guard and interrupted it-allowing for an empty chamber during pumping the action (I lost a deer due to these years ago).

So I reduced the contact surface of the lever. The spring was difficult to get to and I'm not sure if it could be replaced easily or if they even made a stiffer spring.

The push lever after reduction-the rear of the lever was contoured to be less likely to be bumped by a finger accidently. It is polished too.

i48.tinypic.com_34tco4w.jpg

I also noted what horrific machining marks were made into the bolt, rough abrasive and unrefined. I took a flat surface and polished the friction bearing surfaces of the bolt and bolt lock (?). I also cleaned up the dual extractors while there.

The machining marks left a bunch of burs that the locking block was catching on a bit-not locking it up but some level of friction was occuring.

i50.tinypic.com_2e0o1gz.jpg

The bolt with the burs knocked off. Don't want to polish all the machine marks as it might create too much slop.

i47.tinypic.com_swa88k.jpg

The bolt sanded with 220 grit

i45.tinypic.com_a2uj9k.jpg

The bolt channel cleaned up with a bit of file (just to knock the high spots off)

i47.tinypic.com_vwpo3m.jpg

Firing pin channnel being smoothed out

i45.tinypic.com_dwies.jpg

Extractors being cleaned up. Left has less of a a bite on it (they are different-as there is a left and right extractor). The left has been polished the right is untouched with the heavy machine marks.

i46.tinypic.com_r1bzlt.jpg

Left has less of a hook on it.

i47.tinypic.com_9zsj88.jpg

Well hope this clears up my slug issues. If anyone else has issues too please post it up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom