• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mosin Nagant experts/lovers

BIGLEW

Air Force Icon Supporter
AKA: BIG PRETTY - BDR1
446   0
Reaction score
My uncle passed away this week. Before he did, he gave my other uncle this rifle. My uncle who currently has the rifle knew nothing about it. I was able to at least give him a vague overview, but thought I'd put these pictures of the markings up here cause I'm sure someone on this site knows much more about it than I do. 0614191813_HDR~2.jpg 0614191815_HDR~2.jpg

Hey Lew, i’m really sorry for your loss. This is a Russian M91, built in the Tula factory in 1912. The stamp at the top of the Russian writing is the mark of “Peter the Great” who ruled Russia at the time it was assembled. The letter “D” stamp indicates that it was captured by Finland and reworked to accept the Finnish ammo which had different dimensions than the Russian ammo. (It probably has an “SA” stamp inside a box on the left side of the receiver to indicate the Finnish military acceptance). The 148gr surplus Russian or Bulgarian ‘light ball’ ammo are the only rounds that are safe to shoot in her. People like the hex receivers better because they appear to be more robust but there’s no real difference in hex vs round receivers.

Be glad to clean her up and test her out for you sometime...no charge

BIGLEW BIGLEW Stuckon22 Stuckon22

Hey Lew, i’m really sorry for your loss. This is a Russian M91, built in the Tula factory in 1912. The stamp at the top of the Russian writing is the mark of “Peter the Great” who ruled Russia at the time it was assembled. The letter “D” stamp indicates that it was captured by Finland and reworked to accept the Finnish ammo which had different dimensions than the Russian ammo. (It probably has an “SA” stamp inside a box on the left side of the receiver to indicate the Finnish military acceptance). The 148gr surplus Russian or Bulgarian ‘light ball’ ammo are the only rounds that are safe to shoot in her. People like the hex receivers better because they appear to be more robust but there’s no real difference in hex vs round receivers.

Thank you buddy. It was terrible losing him so quickly to cancer, but to be honest, I feel sorry for all those who did not know him. He was the most generous, happiest, man of morals I've ever known. He would literally change the mood of a room by simply walking in, saying hi, and smiling. I loved that man dearly, and my heart hurts and my mind is angry all at the same time. But I know he was suffering even though he would never show it, and that suffering is now over and he is in a better place.

I'll pass the offer on to my uncle, since the rifle now belongs to him. I'll let you know.

Thanks again buddy.

Peter the Great did not rule in 1912 , Nicolas the II did . Peter the Great is from 18th century and a factory was named after him.

Back
Top Bottom