• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Minimalist reloading

Im only cleaning and prepping for now. Then next week I'll get a press and a primer punch....

Then as it allows itself, I'll tune things. Its a 40 minute drive to academy from my house to maybe score some(at a 4 box limit on NATO calibers). My wife has pretty much put a chokehold on ammo purchases for now, so its an argument to even replace what I shoot. She won't allow me to buy a case a month. Plus the hassle...

Im not dumping a grand into it yet by any means. And im not about to slow down on my shooting. If anything im gonna start practicing more...
If she's boxing your ears over a few boxes of ammo, she's going to tear your ass out of the frame if she ever sees the entirety of costs associated with reloading. LOL!

He's asking specifically about 9mm and 5.56mm. Neither cartridge should be reloaded in an attempt to save money. My opinion.

Agreed, time invested vs minimal money saved is not worth it. I primarily only reload 44 special / magnum now. Some 223 in the heavier weights for accuracy control. 9mm is definitely not worth it. Imagine moving a pile of gravel with tweezers to save $20, that is what reloading 9 in a single stage press feels like.

He's asking specifically about 9mm and 5.56mm. Neither cartridge should be reloaded in an attempt to save money. My opinion.
I trust your opinion completely on things of this nature but im inclined to disagree about the ammo situation stabilizing. Wally and Dicks are done with the black rifle rounds. Academy is sketchy at best(their AR parts section hasn't even been restocked in months). E'erbody hatin on mah thang right now.

So whats the outcome...? no matter which side wins the other will keep stockin up...

I trust your opinion completely on things of this nature but im inclined to disagree about the ammo situation stabilizing. Wally and Dicks are done with the black rifle rounds. Academy is sketchy at best(their AR parts section hasn't even been restocked in months). E'erbody hatin on mah thang right now.

So whats the outcome...? no matter which side wins the other will keep stockin up...
It'll stabilize soon enough. There's a bit of a "mini-panic" going on right now but I doubt I'll be selling 5.56mm milsurp for $1 per round like I did in February 2013. If you can hold tight, do that. If we get into another full blown neckbeard stampede? When primers hit $100 per thousand (they've done that and higher) and powder is $450 for 8 lbs.? Reloading sux sweaty orbs.

Agreed, time invested vs minimal money saved is not worth it. I primarily only reload 44 special / magnum now. Some 223 in the heavier weights for accuracy control. 9mm is definitely not worth it. Imagine moving a pile of gravel with tweezers to save $20, that is what reloading 9 in a single stage press feels like.
Totally with you on that also. The 9mm thing is way down the list unless you can reload PD, haven't looked yet.

Also, some of my gun purchases are entirely motivated by availability/cost of ammo and replacement parts. Thats why i was never heavy in the milsurp game. And why i shoot AR's and glocks...

If I had access to reloading, maybe I could get some cooler stuff eventually.

Back
Top Bottom