• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Minimalist reloading

No dice at TSC. On the way to Petco for this now.

Screenshot_20200702-101137_Samsung Internet.jpg

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...dBsEb0ax2THJWUbxT0N9YJiW7ZM9-RFBoCu3EQAvD_BwE

Don't do it. Not now. And not to "save money" in any case. Handloading is for control of components/velocities. Ammo prices will come down eventually and then you should "load up" on common cartridges for shooting.

Components are about to become extremely scarce as demand outstrips supply on fixed ammunition. You just about will not save a significant amount of money for the foreseeable future by handloading.

I don't want to discourage anyone from embarking on the reloading journey but think a dash of "hold up" and think this through is advisable.

Handloading is for control of components/velocities.

That's one way to look at it. And reasonable relative to 9mm. Unless you cast bullets, 9mm is hard to justify for reloading, except for specialty loads/fine tuning.

Other calibers, it certainly can be about controlling cost. Reloading really shines for 357, 44, 45, the more expensive rifle calibers, and oddball calibers. If you cast your own bullets, the ammo becomes very inexpensive.

With the supplies I've accumulated over the years, and my own bullets, my cost on a 38 special load is about 2 cents a round. 357, about 2.5 cents. Hard to find a box of 357 for $1.50. Yes, it's harder to get to those cost points now because primers and powder are about 25% more expensive than when I started 16 years ago, but it's still dramatically cheaper than factory ammo.

The tools, learning and time required to get to that point: Labor of love, like any hobby.

Don't do it. Not now. And not to "save money" in any case. Handloading is for control of components/velocities. Ammo prices will come down eventually and then you should "load up" on common cartridges for shooting.

Components are about to become extremely scarce as demand outstrips supply on fixed ammunition. You just about will not save a significant amount of money for the foreseeable future by handloading.

I don't want to discourage anyone from embarking on the reloading journey but think a dash of "hold up" and think this through is advisable.
Ok go back to bed lol

That's one way to look at it. And reasonable relative to 9mm. Unless you cast bullets, 9mm is hard to justify for reloading, except for specialty loads/fine tuning.

Other calibers, it certainly can be about controlling cost. Reloading really shines for 357, 44, 45, the more expensive rifle calibers, and oddball calibers. If you cast your own bullets, the ammo becomes very inexpensive.

With the supplies I've accumulated over the years, and my own bullets, my cost on a 38 special load is about 2 cents a round. 357, about 2.5 cents. Hard to find a box of 357 for $1.50. Yes, it's harder to get to those cost points now because primers and powder are about 25% more expensive than when I started 16 years ago, but it's still dramatically cheaper than factory ammo.

The tools, learning and time required to get to that point: Labor of love, like any hobby.
Im only cleaning and prepping for now. Then next week I'll get a press and a primer punch....

Then as it allows itself, I'll tune things. Its a 40 minute drive to academy from my house to maybe score some(at a 4 box limit on NATO calibers). My wife has pretty much put a chokehold on ammo purchases for now, so its an argument to even replace what I shoot. She won't allow me to buy a case a month. Plus the hassle...

Im not dumping a grand into it yet by any means. And im not about to slow down on my shooting. If anything im gonna start practicing more...

He's asking specifically about 9mm and 5.56mm. Neither cartridge should be reloaded in an attempt to save money. My opinion.

Back
Top Bottom