• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Millennial's Rant from an Alternate View

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont know what kind of better arrangement you're talking about. pretty much all housing is over 1200 at a minimum if you're renting, have a kid and need an extra bedroom and you're looking at 1500 easy, the housing market is ****ed and theres no "just work" that is going to change that. and as far as "living to your means" these folks scrape by, nothing new bought and live well below the means of most. and agian the "life is full of choices" argument is a joke. I know PLENTY of folks who would gladly work from sun up to sun down but still dont have the opportunity.

reality sucks and just having a work ethic will not always get folks beyond that, that is the harsh truth.

the math isnt even that hard to see how ****ed its gotten.

"Average" rent around Atlanta is 1700 from what i can find but we'll use 1500 as its a nice round number. and we'll use the often called for $15.00 "livable" wage.

at 15 bucks an hour working full time every week you net around 31,200 lets be generous and say you only lose 15% to taxes and medicare and similar so $26,520 if your rent is 1500 then your paying about 18000 a year leaving you with 8,520 or 163 bucks a week and this isnt including utilities. Food and gas to get to work will eat through 163 real fast again ESP if you have a kid. But now lets also say you do the good ol rule of thumb of save 10% or 16.30 a week and after a year you may have a grand total of about $850 or One good car repair.

Now many dont even make that and by no fault of their own as again a harsh reality. There are only so many decent paying jobs out there, thats how competition works and not everyone can make good money. But the harsh reality is in the current landscape even living at a bare minimum means is becoming unachievable for many. And again i actually know more boomers and gen x'ers falling into these situations than millennials right now.
I do agree that the situation is ****tier and it's getting harder for folks. But I also think folks make it harder on themselves. The other side of the coin is, people making $15 an hour trying to scrape by rent money, are also in many cases wearing the latest designer clothes, have the newest phone, and are making a $500/month car payment on something they absolutely don't need. I'm not saying that's always the case, but it's pretty common. I live down in Macon, and I'm sure you see it up there too. But you'll have folks living in low end apartments, driving nicer newer SUV's or trucks with lifts and big wheels/tires. They'll have name brand clothes, newer phones, and eat better than I do, but you'll hear them complaining about finances and the economy. Meanwhile, I have a good paying job and buy my jeans at Academy, drive older paid off vehicles, and don't go out to eat every day. Just priorities.

Not to mention, if you're living somewhere were rent is $1500 a month, maybe move or find a cheaper apartment outside of the high end areas? That's insane, $1500 is twice my mortgage.

Born in the mid 90s? I got socks older than that.

By the time I was your age, I was already into my 3rd career, and still making some residuals from the first 2.

Life is hard, most people won't step up and take it on, instead they just give a string of excuses.

The country isn’t screwed up because of millennials. I’m a millennial. If you look at the ages of the President, Vice President, all the Presidents cabinet, all 9 Supreme Court Justices and every single member of both houses of Congress. That’s the 561 most powerful people in our government.......I’m older than 3 of those people. I won’t say what generation the overwhelming majority of them are from, because we already know

I do agree that the situation is ****tier and it's getting harder for folks. But I also think folks make it harder on themselves. The other side of the coin is, people making $15 an hour trying to scrape by rent money, are also in many cases wearing the latest designer clothes, have the newest phone, and are making a $500/month car payment on something they absolutely don't need. I'm not saying that's always the case, but it's pretty common. I live down in Macon, and I'm sure you see it up there too. But you'll have folks living in low end apartments, driving nicer newer SUV's or trucks with lifts and big wheels/tires. They'll have name brand clothes, newer phones, and eat better than I do, but you'll hear them complaining about finances and the economy. Meanwhile, I have a good paying job and buy my jeans at Academy, drive older paid off vehicles, and don't go out to eat every day. Just priorities.

Not to mention, if you're living somewhere were rent is $1500 a month, maybe move or find a cheaper apartment outside of the high end areas? That's insane, $1500 is twice my mortgage.

i agree 100000% that there are many folks out there who make it harder on themselves and are completely deserving of their situation. I've seen plenty of what your talking about and i dont think there is much helping those folks.

unfortunately up here 1500 isnt a high end area either and you cant really find much cheaper. and yes its generally almost twice what anyone would pay in a mortgage, its completely ****ed.

The country isn’t screwed up because of millennials. I’m a millennial. If you look at the ages of the President, Vice President, all the Presidents cabinet, all 9 Supreme Court Justices and every single member of both houses of Congress. That’s the 561 most powerful people in our government.......I’m older than 3 of those people. I won’t say what generation the overwhelming majority of them are from, because we already know

People with dementia trying to regulate the internet and social media, health care they dont use, and how to manage money. I work with 70 year old engineers who struggle double clicking on icons to open up programs on their computer while bragging about their pensions. Great point.

I'm never going to change your mind; it is what it is.. but that's okay. I'm certainly not going to sit here and waste the day arguing with you about it. Your entire argument resides on the "woe is me" mentality and that "the system did someone wrong." It really is not hard to find a job/career that with a little hard work and grit pays/will pay more than $31.2K annually. You CERTAINLY don't have to live in Midtown and sacrifice $1,500/month in rent to find a $15/hr paying job.
again 1500 is pretty basic for any place 50 miles from the city. look in Gwinnett or barrow and see what rental prices look like. You're being really funny if you think you're gonna live in midtown for 1500. and again tell that to the old folks working walmart or fastfood now because i know thats exactly what they wish they were doing.

and no "woe as me" to it. I blatantly say the world is unfair and aint **** gonna change that. Im just point out that your "just work hard" mentality is a joke if you think thats all it takes.

While what you say is likely true, there are a LOT of millennials who helped vote them into office.

what recourse do we have? Boomers gonna vote boomer no matter what
I'm a 'boomer.' You can say the same thing about Millennials or any of the other generations. The fate of this country isn't in the hands of those generations now; it's in the hands of the tens of millions of illegals this President and his ilk are openly welcoming into this country.....Thousands and thousands a day, in fact, to the point that our CBPE has completely lost control of our southern border.

B3FC4804-9F60-431E-8FEF-0E63213C4069.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom