• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Memorial Day

Edog537

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
110   0
Reaction score
This day is always a somber day for me. One of my shipmates Brian Patrick Gibson died 7/16/2003 in a helicopter crash. We flew, partied, and sweated together for six years. He decided to continue on with his career when I moved on. He died on a training mission a couple of weeks after returning from The Gulf. He was on board only because one of his junior sailor's wife went in to labor that morning. Brian at this point wrote the flight schedule for the enlisted flight crew and stepped up and took the flight. If anyone here was a Naval Aircrewman you know a FAM Flight around the pattern is well beneath a Senior E-6(Chief Selectee) but that was who Brian was. It cost him everything to step up when he could have easily passed along that flight to even a lowly 2nd Crewman. His mother fainted on my shoulder when the Honor Guard started the firing volley. RIP Gibby

This day is always a somber day for me. One of my shipmates Brian Patrick Gibson died 7/16/2003 in a helicopter crash. We flew, partied, and sweated together for six years. He decided to continue on with his career when I moved on. He died on a training mission a couple of weeks after returning from The Gulf. He was on board only because one of his junior sailor's wife went in to labor that morning. Brian at this point wrote the flight schedule for the enlisted flight crew and stepped up and took the flight. If anyone here was a Naval Aircrewman you know a FAM Flight around the pattern is well beneath a Senior E-6(Chief Selectee) but that was who Brian was. It cost him everything to step up when he could have easily passed along that flight to even a lowly 2nd Crewman. His mother fainted on my shoulder when the Honor Guard started the firing volley. RIP Gibby
Salute Gibby RIP

Back
Top Bottom