• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mechanic question - Buick A/C

Freshly Minted Georgian!

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
304   0
Reaction score
I love my trusty old '02 Park Avenue but it has one vexing little problem. Most of the time air blows out the defrost vents primarily. I don't think it's the blend door actuator because if I unplug the battery for a few hours it starts working again. I suspect it's a problem with the body control module, purely electronic. I have two questions really.

1) What do you think of my theory?
2) If it IS the body control module, without crawling under the dash (apparently it's located behind the glove compartment) to pull the actual model number to find the right replacement, is there any way by using the VIN to determine which BCM modules are compatible?

You probably have a vacuum leak. I once had rats chew up some tubing from vacuum source to the distributor/diverter...the valve that directs where the air comes out inside the car: default is defrost on many cars. Check the tube connections near the heat/AC blower.

If it was just a vacuum leak (which I've thought of) it wouldn't be corrected by unplugging the battery. It's been this way for a while, I've been researching it for a long time!

climate control. Those older Buicks were notorious for bad quality soldering on the components in both the climate control module and the instrument panel. I've long since taken both apart and sure enough, not only were there some bad solder joints that had cracked, there were some components that we flat out NOT soldered at all. You'd find one leg of a resistor soldered and the other just sitting in a PCB through hole with no solder whatsoever. I got both the climate control and the instrument panel taken apart and properly soldered a few years back.

climate control. Those older Buicks were notorious for bad quality soldering on the components in both the climate control module and the instrument panel. I've long since taken both apart and sure enough, not only were there some bad solder joints that had cracked, there were some components that we flat out NOT soldered at all. You'd find one leg of a resistor soldered and the other just sitting in a PCB through hole with no solder whatsoever. I got both the climate control and the instrument panel taken apart and properly soldered a few years back.
I'd still start by replacing that first, even if you had it repaired previously.

Every pull-a-part yard I've been to has a computer program that cross-references for compatibility and they always tell me which vehicles have that part and print out where the vehicles are in their yard.

Back
Top Bottom